My 1000 Gallon Glass Aquarium (1000+ Gallons for Dummies)

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Great tank for rays!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
I suppose I should have mentioned at the outset that this will be an Amazon biotope tank centered around peacock bass. Although I have other fish, the fish currently in my possession that will be going into the tank for sure include the following:

• (1) Black Arowana from Jeff Rapps
  • (2) WC Cichla pinima from Jeff Rapps
  • (4) Cichla kelberi "Bahia" from Jeff Rapps
  • (8) Cichla mutts from LFS...most likely monos
  • (11) Spotted Silver Dollars

I may only keep a pair of kelberi and three or four monos, so that I have more room to stock additional fish. I am not into the crowded tank look. I am also considering some options for bottom dwellers, but haven't settled on a direction yet. Pictures of the fish can be found here.

Albertan

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Alberta, CANADA
I'm curious, why glass?
Pretty much because the best tank builder around my parts uses glass. But here were my thoughts when I compared the two:

• WEIGHT - At this size, both tanks are incredibly heavy. Either will be a ***** to move...this tank will probably need a forklift at my house when it arrives. Once it's filled with water, what it's made of will be the least of my worries. So you can write off the weight advantage the acrylic proponents bring up when you get to this size IMO.
  • CLARITY - This tank won't be hugely illuminated. Starphire glass on the front was within my budget, but really not a big deal to me. I will concede the clarity of acrylic over glass...until it scratches.
  • INSULATION - The tank will be in my garage with in-floor heat, which I keep around 70[SUP]o[/SUP]F. The sides and back will be black, so I can insulate most of it with sytrofoam insulation in an esthetic manner if I want.
  • SCRATCHES - The reason I would have went with glass even if I did have a choice. I'm pretty anal. I'm not into paying $20,000 for a tank and looking at scratches a month later. That would, frankly, infuriate me. :irked:
  • PRICE - I've heard some say that acrylic is cheaper than glass. That hasn't really been my experience shopping around. Especially once I factored in the shipping to me out in the sticks where I live.

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
This is gonna be epic. I cant wait to see the progress!

Are you getting Concept to build your tank?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Pretty much because the best tank builder around my parts uses glass. But here were my thoughts when I compared the two:

• WEIGHT - At this size, both tanks are incredibly heavy. Either will be a ***** to move...this tank will probably need a forklift at my house when it arrives. Once it's filled with water, what it's made of will be the least of my worries. So you can write off the weight advantage the acrylic proponents bring up when you get to this size IMO.
  • CLARITY - This tank won't be hugely illuminated. Starphire glass on the front was within my budget, but really not a big deal to me. I will concede the clarity of acrylic over glass...until it scratches.
  • INSULATION - The tank will be in my garage with in-floor heat, which I keep around 70[SUP]o[/SUP]F. The sides and back will be black, so I can insulate most of it with sytrofoam insulation in an esthetic manner if I want.
  • SCRATCHES - The reason I would have went with glass even if I did have a choice. I'm pretty anal. I'm not into paying $20,000 for a tank and looking at scratches a month later. That would, frankly, infuriate me. :irked:
  • PRICE - I've heard some say that acrylic is cheaper than glass. That hasn't really been my experience shopping around. Especially once I factored in the shipping to me out in the sticks where I live.
lol I get the weight thing, I mean who cares how heavy it is really. Once it's installed it doesn't matter. Thanks for your reply. Hopefully some day I will need to make this decision too :)

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store