My 2 albino oscars are floating at the top together...

abiesx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2020
Long Island, New York
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi, I'm in a bit of a situation and really need some advice on how to help my 2 albino oscars. They are currently in a 55 gallon tank as they are still small (we are getting a 100+ tank soon). I also have 1 tiger oscar and 2 jack dempsey in the tank. There is 1 jack dempsey that is aggressive but I rarely see her go near the oscars and only chases the other jack dempsey that is smaller than her. Previously, I took out the other JD and put it with my bichirs because she was bullying everyone in the tank and after that, this current JD seemed to have taken up the bullying occupation. I was treating the whole tank for ich because the albino oscars had them (and only them). This started last Saturday and I don't see anymore ich since Wednesday but we are still doing the ich treatments until Saturday or Sunday just to be safe. Today, I see the 2 albino oscars a the top of the tank on their side and idk what is going on. They are still eating but they're just laying kind of on their side at the top and I'm worried. Idk if this is due to the ich or stress maybe from the JD bully or something else?

Side Note: I was dosing ich x every day and doing 25%-30% water changes.

Water parameters:
pH: 6.6 - 6.8 - this is a little low and I am hesitant to use any pH raisers and was wondering if it would be ok to do the baking soda method?
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
nitrite: 40-60

IMG_5662.PNG

IMG_5663.PNG

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
what is the temp? mine used to lay on their sides at the top too but only during water changes now they are 9" and just try to eat my fingers when I try to do a water change but it could just be a stress thing keep a close eye on it and remove the fish you think is bullying them BTW my big albino oscar sleeps on his side at the surface while my tiger sleeps normaly upright on the ground no health issues just him being weird lol thats oscars for you

abiesx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2020
Long Island, New York
So I'm keeping temp at around 82-84° because of the ich. And funny you say that, my tiger oscar sleeps the same way but up against my driftwood lol. I got so worried the first time I saw that. The only reason I was worried with the albinos were going up in the tank is because previously, they used to stay mid tank and just chill there. Then when they got ich, they stayed at the bottom always next to each other. I believe the ich came from plants I bought because after that, they started to stay low by each other and kind of rub up against the gravel

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Most cases when a cichlid is at the top in a corner is it's being harassed . I see torn fins in the pic. Unfortunately when you move a tank boss another will take over. I personally would separate the Oscars from the other Jack Dempsey as well.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Most cases when a cichlid is at the top in a corner is it's being harassed . I see torn fins in the pic. Unfortunately when you move a tank boss another will take over. I personally would separate the Oscars from the other Jack Dempsey as well.
It's also doesn't help when the O's are a bright eye catching color so it makes it far easier for the new TB to target them. Ime O's tend to get beaten up by most Jack's just because they tend to be a far more laid back kind of cichlid. I've had 6 O's and 6 Jack's before and only ever had 1 of the Jack's being chill while all the others were extremely aggressive, with the 6 O's I only ever had 1 be aggressive while the other 5 were chill.

Reactions: tlindsey

abiesx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2020
Long Island, New York
So I actually took out that Jack and now only have 1 left in the tank. That was yesterday and so far, everything has been good. The jack that is left has been very chill. Seems like it really was from stress and bullying cus the albino oscar's are swimming around fine now and haven't been settling at the top of the tank.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I actually took out that Jack and now only have 1 left in the tank. That was yesterday and so far, everything has been good. The jack that is left has been very chill. Seems like it really was from stress and bullying cus the albino oscar's are swimming around fine now and haven't been settling at the top of the tank.
Great to here that.

Reactions: abiesx and Niki_up
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store