Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 23 95.8%

• Total voters

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
I have been in the hobby for a long time. My first tank was a 29 gallon tank that I had when i was 12. Since then I have been obsessed. I got out of the hobby last Jan when I found out my wife had breast cancer. This pretty much shut down my free time and free money. She has been a trooper. She just started her first Chemo last week and has just 5 more to go. My wife has always loved my tanks and I after talking we decided to do another. So after being out of the hobby for about a year or so, I have finally bought another tank. I picked up a 220 Gallon reef tank. It is a oak trim with a matching stand. I currently have it filled in my garage so I can clean it up a little.

I have since cleaned the tank and, just have a little more to do. I am currently looking into my floor to make sure the house can handle the weight. I have a crawl space so I will be taking a look this week. I do have steel beams that run the length of the house and I believe the tank would be sitting directly over one. Hopefully this will be the case and I will not have to put floor jacks and a beam in. More to come on that.

Now for the tank. I currently have an FX5 and was planning on using it for this tank. I was planning on hard plumbing most of the lines. Do you guys think a single FX5 will be enough filter for this tank. I have yet to decide on what type of fish to keep. I have always kept larger schools of smaller fish, but I am open to getting a few larger fish. I will also be using a few wave makers for additional water movement and possibly an in line uv filter.

So just a little info on what I am planning. I will be taking some pictures this week and updating this every so often. Your thoughts and opinions are always helpful. Thanks!

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I mean if there was an option for five fx5s I would have voted that. The more is always better.

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
Ha well more is def better. One filter would cut my monthly cleanup time in half. I really want the FX6, just trying to decide.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I would go with a sump. Much cheaper and you can get a lot more Media into a 55 gallon sump than a fx5 . But that is my opinion . If I can plumb and build a sump for my 240 im positive you can do the same. Although it is trial and error but once its up and running its beautiful . I used to use canisters ( fx5 ) and maintenance with a sump is much much easier especially with a larger tank

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
I have def considered a sump. I have a 55 sitting around also. Not to mention a few return pumps. I just finished a good long clean of the tank. I still have more to go, but I at least have it filled and circulating. Working on posting some pictures now.

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
The tank cleaned up really nice. I will need to drain later this week and spray the overflows down with some vinegar and let them sit. The glass has come pretty clean. Still a few more spots to hit. I cleaned two of the four wave makers up already and have them spinning some water also. I have a titanium 1000w heater, but I am thinking about buying two new 300w heaters and placing one on each end.

tank3.jpg

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Two 300w heaters would be ideal. That't exactly what I'm running on my 240, if one sticks on the ON posiion its not enough power to overheat the tank and cook everyone :D

bageezus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2014
Wheatfield
Exactly. I will be ordering my heaters this week and getting some plumbing ideas put together. I'm trying to decide if I want to build a matching hood or order some glass tops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store