My 240 gallon setup

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
I decided to start a new thread to follow my slow journey of setting up a 240 gallon tank. It's a 4 year old 8'x2'x2' with starphire glass front and sides. It used to be a reef tank. I bought it local from a doctor that had it set up in his office until he moved offices. It has 13 holes drilled in it. 4 in the bottom at the front of the tank, 2 in the bottom of each overflow, and 5 in the back glass. It needs a lot of cleaning up, but it's nearly scratch free, and the ones it does have are minor. I may even try to buff them out, but probably not.
As you can see from the pictures below, I've got a lot of mineral deposits to clean up, and a lot of silicone to scrape off of the bulkhead holes (which were all siliconed inside and outside the tank.)

I also have two 40breeder tanks that I am going to use as sumps. I'm modeling this set up after fmueller.com's. So I've ordered two 1800gph pondmasters and four sheets of poret filter foam. The plan is to sandwich the filter foam together in each sump so that I can do maintenance without having to take the entire wall of foam out, since I'll also be using the sumps as growouts. I also plan to plumb the setup to my house plumbing for easy maintenance. More on that later. I think I've covered enough for now.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
sounds like fun. Good luck.

Spray bottle with vinegar and water should help you with those calcium deposits. I cant wait to see how this turns out.

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
Well, I scraped all of the silicone off of the bulkhead areas last night and started working on the mineral deposits a bit. Took hours, but thank goodness I set the tank on 4x4 blocks, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to (just barely) get a hand under the tank for scraping the bottom. The overflow covers (not pictured) have been cleaned, as well, but I can tell it's going to take another pass or two to get the hazy look out of it. Anyone have a better idea than Mr. Clean magic erasers for that?

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
I'm toying with the idea of adding undergravel jets as the return for my pumps. Have any of you all used that in conjunction with overflows? I'm wondering if all the detritus will make it up to the top of the tank, or will I just have constant swirls of poo floating mid-water?

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
A series of unfortunate events lead to the picture below happening a few weeks ago. I need advice on if this is repairable. It's finally starting to get warm enough around here that my depression over this is lifting a bit and I'm going to try and repair it, if it's possible. The only thing damaged is the side panel. Anyone have any experience replacing a panel on such a large and well-braced tank? It's a w24"xh25" panel of Starphire glass. Advice, videos, how-to's are appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store