MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
That's really sweet! Dimensions?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I can't help you out with attaching the acrylic and I know bamboo sharks don't really do circles around the tank but have you considered buying some cheap thin acrylic curving it around a piece of pvc or anything with a curve and silicon in it to the corner of the tank?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I can't help you out with attaching the acrylic and I know bamboo sharks don't really do circles around the tank but have you considered buying some cheap thin acrylic curving it around a piece of pvc or anything with a curve and silicon in it to the corner of the tank?
Why?

The whole "sharks can't handle corners" is a complete load of bs. Any of the stereotypical sharks can be housed in a tank with corners if it acomodates the swimming pattern of the shark.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Why?

The whole "sharks can't handle corners" is a complete load of bs. Any of the stereotypical sharks can be housed in a tank with corners if it acomodates the swimming pattern of the shark.
the first thing I said was it's not needed for bamboo sharks but I don't know what else he plans to keep. I had the impression tjis may be a shark tank. I'm going to quote zoodiver here "Other sharks (like ram ventilating sharks - the ones that need to swim to breathe) have issues. Usually the corner is the problem because of a small tank. If you have a HUGE tank, a corner isn't an issue at all. The real problem is giving the shark enough glide room to turn around or change direction without having to change speed or make an abnormal twist in it's body." I think he knows what he's saying so I don't believe it's BS

Now I wouldn't consider a 500 gallon a big enough tank to not round the corners but then again if he only has the bamboo then there is no need.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
the first thing I said was it's not needed for bamboo sharks but I don't know what else he plans to keep. I'm going to quote zoodiver here "Other sharks (like ram ventilating sharks - the ones that need to swim to breathe) have issues. Usually the corner is the problem because of a small tank. If you have a HUGE tank, a corner isn't an issue at all. The real problem is giving the shark enough glide room to turn around or change direction without having to change speed or make an abnormal twist in it's body." I think he knows what he's saying so I don't believe it's BS

Now I wouldn't consider a 500 gallon a big enough tank to not round the corners but then again if he only has the bamboo then there is no need.
I thought he said it was for his bamboo sharks. Not his black tips.

Reread my post. I said that if a tank was big enough to acomodate the sharks swimming pattern it doesn't need rounded corners.

My dad kept bamboo sharks before I got into the hobby and i don't remember a time that a shark got up and did laps around a tank for hours on end. They got up for small bursts then went back down, but I never saw them do laps as an orv or ram does constantly.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I thought he said it was for his bamboo sharks. Not his black tips.

Reread my post. I said that if a tank was big enough to acomodate the sharks swimming pattern it doesn't need rounded corners.

My dad kept bamboo sharks before I got into the hobby and i don't remember a time that a shark got up and did laps around a tank for hours on end. They got up for small bursts then went back down, but I never saw them do laps as an orv or ram does constantly.
incredibly we are arguing about the same thing. I said bamboo will be fine in there but I guess I made the assumption he would be adding more sharks

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Look into a high grade silicone like rtv,scs, dow corning, 3m5200... Sand ur acrylic with a low grit paper where it will be siliconed 2 help it adhere, clean with nail polish remover and or rubbing alcohol and slap er on there lol... once the window is up silicone around the acrylic on the inside of the tank to the epoxy and hold it up in place with 2×4's. U can also flip the tank on its front and use the weight of the acrylic to hold it in place while it cures.... id still throw in some 2×4 to snugg it up a bit/create pressure as acrylic is not that heavy. the gasket of silicone ur making should also run under the material thickness of the acrylic if it sits one the bottom and squeeze all the way out to the front of the tank with no bubbles/air gaps. I used 12 tubes for my 8'x29" acrylic window on a 650 gal build just to give u a rough estimate of how much u may need. May seem excessive, but silicones of any type do not adhere well to acrylic.

jgirkey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
indianapolis indiana
thanks alot i was planning on 3m 5200 then pond armor the acrylic about 3 inches all the way around im just wanting to make sure it doesnt leak thanks alot .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store