My 540 -- Pics -- Mostly Vieja

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Awesome tank my friend. Looking really good. How's the water flow in there? It doesn't look like there is much surface turbulence at all. I like the idea of the water lettuce. Throw Abit of shade in a corner I'm sure the fish will also like it.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
The latest update....

5 "newer" Argentea are starting to catch up with the 2 original Argentea I had in this tank. There's been no more Argentea murders since I moved them into this tank from the 125.

I had 2 Zonatus, I found one at the top of the tank with almost every scale gone--poor thing. But, that's the "circle of life" I guess. So, I'm down to 1 Zonatus now, and he's HUGE. Mean, too.

The Regani are finally starting to get some color and size.

The Breidhori looks like he's quit growing at about 8 inches. He's not quite the monster my last Breidhori was. We'll see if this one grows up any more. Maybe I'll put him in a tank by himself to see if lack of competition will push him along?

The 2 Trimac's in this tank are not growing, and they're at each other's throats all the time. 1 is male, 1 is female. I'm thinking seriously about putting the female in my 125 with the Big Trimac in there. Maybe I'll get a spawn, though the male Trimac in my 125 is so crazy, I might not chance it.

Aquascape....I really need to do something. I'm thinking I'll grow some water lettuce on the surface, and add a rock pile or two maybe? Just something to change it up even a little.

I love this tank. I really would love a tank this size and similar stock.
I think the 125g to breed the trimacs is a great idea, and hope they spawn.
The water lettuce and rocks sounds good to me.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Water flow is HUUUUUUGE in there. There's almost no surface agitation, but the overflows on each end of the tank each skim close to a third of the surface of the water in the display tank. There's current in every part of the display, too. And, I put a power head in the sump so it stays moving all the time, too. Compared to a canister filter, it's much more flow.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Water flow is HUUUUUUGE in there. There's almost no surface agitation, but the overflows on each end of the tank each skim close to a third of the surface of the water in the display tank. There's current in every part of the display, too. And, I put a power head in the sump so it stays moving all the time, too. Compared to a canister filter, it's much more flow.
Heck yeah, sounds like ya set it up right man, well clearly. The beautiful tank speaks for itself. I'm sure the less surface agitation helps with the noise. Which is nice.

Reactions: Toiletcar

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Been a while since the last update. The Zonatus is HUUUUGE now. He's paired off with a smaller Regani and they've decided only they can go in one end of the tank. They've been acting like this over a month now and never spawned, so I don't know what it's all about.

The Argentea are all getting along great which is a surprise. There are a total of 6 now. 2 of them are 3 years old now, 4 of them are almost 2 years old. None of them have paired off yet.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Beautiful collection of veija ,I'm surprised they all get on but good job in making it work.
Very nice display.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
They don't all get on. They don't kill each other, which I think is about all I can expect. There's usually a fish in there that's a problem. :)

Last few months, it's been the Zonatus. I have a BEAUTIFUL Melanurus male, 12 inches or more, living alone in my sump because the Zonatus decided he just had to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store