My Aqueon 15g column

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Let me try to get this thread back on track...

I ordered an eshopps hob overflow box (300gph)
Eshopps 18" reef sump
Mag5
And a dimmer for the led's

It should be here by friday. I will post pics once I get it all in. I sure hope the hob overflow fits on the tank without any cutting...

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I can officially confirm that an eshopps hob overflow box (75g model) will work on the 15g aqueon column tank. No cutting necessary, just alot of patience. Took about 20 mins to get it installed, then had to take it right back off because the sumps and pump wont be in until friday.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Got my pump in today, sump will be here tomorrow. Might be a little bit before it get it all setup though. Going on vacation may 6th-12th

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
OK update time. The tank is still running. I never setup the sump, life has been hectic lately. I've decided to change a few things with the setup and need some advise. I'm looking to add a few corals and I am going to change the lighting, add the sump, add a skimmer and finally get off my butt with this tank, lol.

Tank currently has the small T8 bulb which is like 5 or so watts I think and I added 3 12" stunner strips. The tank looks great but Im not happy with the setup with different switches and such, it just erks me for some unexplainable reason. I'm leaning towards a kessil A150 for the tank. The tank is 13"x13"x20" Is this extreme overkill? Would it work well for this setup? I have seen them on nanocube tanks.

Secondly when I setup the sump what is a reasonable gph to shoot for. With it being a column tank I don't want a vortex. I'm going to run a split nozzle return with 2 outlets to divide the flow as best I can. I bought a mag 5 but I'm worried even with head loss it will be way to much. And with a ball valve I don't want it like 75% closed. The overflow box is rated for 300gph I believe. I'm guessing around 200gph is feasible.

Lastly how do I go about adding the sump. It will basically be doubling the water volume and in such a small tank this scares me. I only have 2 fish in the tank right now so it is lightly stocked. Do I just get the water chemistry as close as possible?

I've had this tank setup almost 2 years and I still feel like I don't know anything about saltwater, every time I do some research on reef forums its like they are speaking a different language.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store