My Cherax Snowden (Cherax Holthuisi) behavior

Sphynxi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
Hi Guys, I'm new to MFK and yes, I already do have a question ;)

Firstly I'd like to mention that english isn't my native language, so some expressions of and for our beloved Animals might be different and I might not know them. Thats the reason i might not found my answer with the Search function. So if there is already a similar Question, sorry about that.

Okey, I'm worried about my Crayfish (probably without any reason). It's a Cherax snowden (since 2015, before that, it was Cherax Holthuisi. But that is confusing too. The Seller didnt know anything. It was labelled as Cherax Sp.), orange tip. It is my first Crayfish, so every tiny thing is freaking me out, since those simple things are mostly not mention in books 'n stuff.

I was wondering if it's behavior is normal. I'm speaking about his tail. When he is walking around, searching for food and eating, he's like on the first two pictures. But if he goes into one of the caves (he got 3 natural caves and 2 selve digged ones), he often curles his tail like on the third picture. Is this normal? Sometime he stucks hes head into a hole-like spot like in the third picture.

Crayfish are very rare here, so I can't really rely on experience.

He is about 10cm (4") without the claws. I got him since about 2.5 weeks. He is eating.

About the tank:

30 Gallons (80cm long / about 31")
I got between 26° (78.8f) 29 (84f) cause the light is pretty heating up.
no aditional heating

Filtration:
Eheim 2026 Professional II (not on full power)

CO2 fertilization

Plants that he is eating:
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Plants that he doesnt care about:
Ludwigia Repens
Anibuas barteri nana
cryptocoryne
Ophiopogon japonicus nana
Cabomba carollniana
Labelia cardinalis mini
Cryptocoryne Undulatus

No2 - not measurable, so under 0.3
PH - 7.8
GH 14

Tank mates:
30 blue Neons

Some Sakura Shrimps
Some Red Cherry Shrimps
He doesnt care about the shrimps.

Food:
JBL Novo Prawn
Sera Tubifex
Sera Crabs natural
Tetra Crusta Menu (mostly)
dryed Maple leaves (he loves them)

Now here are the pictures:

Oh and another question. Do you think I COULD put in another one? I don't want them to fight for the best hiding spots, even if they are known as friendly. I also dont know the gender, so would it be bad if I get a the same sex? worst case it would be two males.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted so many informations as possible.

Thank you for your help :)
Cheers

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Check to see if she maybe is carrying eggs under her tail. Be sure to supplement with iodine if you aren't already.

Sphynxi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
I'm using Tropic Marin Pro Coral Jod to add iodine. Also I can't see any eggs :-/

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Cant help with answers, but if hats your tank in the photos, looks like he should be happy..,

Have you got a full tank shot we can see :)

Sphynxi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
Sorry for the delay, I wasn't around for a bit.

I don't know. The last days he didn't come out during the day. Not even for the food.

Thats the tank.
On the second Image I marked all the spots he uses for hiding. He dug a lot of holes/pits by himself, so there are plenty of spots. Mostly he is hiding on the right side under the driftwood or on the lift right under the bark. Also when he goes into the spot under the wood, he would almos curl on the side. hard to explain.

Edit: The gravel is about 5-6cm (2-2-5inch) deep.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
If you haven't seen the cray for a few days it maybe about too, or already has, molted.
Nice looking tank.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
Welcome to MFK. great looking tank. Its not great advice, but it's the best I can offer: Don't worry about your crayfish, as long as its feeding properly, it probably OK. If there is something wrong with it, it is very difficult to remedy. Your tank and filtration obviously receive great care. Its hard to imagine a person doing more. Nice find by the way.

Ceiling_Matt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
sweden
I'd guess as long as you see him with the tail uncurled sometimes he probably just tucks his tail in to fit into small spaces better.

Sphynxi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
Hi Guys and thanks for the compliments for my tank.
In the meantime the plnats grow are everywhere (witch is nice).

Since all of you tried to help me, I thought i should let you know, hat he died this night.

I'm very sad and feel that I killed him with my inexperience with invertebrates.
My shrimps are doing well in the tank. I see them molting all the time. But the crayfish didnt. He had still the same marks on hes head like the day I got him.

I guess I stick to the shrimps then. As beautiful and interesting crayfishs are to me, I don't want to be the cause of death for them.

I really appreciate all of your help and inputs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store