my cuban gar

FreaKaMaNia

Feeder Fish
Jun 11, 2005
crazystereo said:
I have three gars, one 'hujeta', and two 'needle-nose' gars. 'Hujeta' was bought for somewhere around eight- to- twelve bucks, and the 'needle-nose' were thirteen. The two aren't a whole lot to look at, but they are kinda kewl, and they are def. different. The 'hujeta' is cool, however, almost white with a black and yellow tail. He is very sociable, always coming over when I walk up to the tank. The other two always swim away. Boy, are they jumpers, too!

Yes, hujetas are cool indeed. I own 2 of them, and my oh my, they sure eat a lot of fish for their size! They were aout 2.5 inches when I bought them last week, and now they're already about 4!

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
They aren't true gars, hujetas are pike characins and "needlenoses" are usually needlefish. Sometimes longnose gars (which are true gars) are called "needlenosed gars", but not too often. If it has hard, armor like scales, then it's a true gar. The "false gars" are still neat fish though. :)

crazystereo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
az
FreaKaMaNia said:
Yes, hujetas are cool indeed. I own 2 of them, and my oh my, they sure eat a lot of fish for their size! They were aout 2.5 inches when I bought them last week, and now they're already about 4!
Yes, it's funny to see them stuff themselves until you wonder how they can even swim! It's kinda kool, though that they are not strictly piscivorous.

crazystereo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
az
BGG said:
They aren't true gars, hujetas are pike characins and "needlenoses" are usually needlefish. Sometimes longnose gars (which are true gars) are called "needlenosed gars", but not too often. If it has hard, armor like scales, then it's a true gar. The "false gars" are still neat fish though. :)
We have the longnose gars at my store. I think the are so cool looking. They are not very expensive, but I am one poor bastard, I can't even afford him right now.

crazystereo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
az
:cry:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store