My Custom 200 Gallon Tank

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
The light fixture has 60 watt halogen bulbs and is actually pretty bright. The pics were taken with the flash on which makes the inside of the tank look darker.

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
FishDog;1527617; said:
The light fixture has 60 watt halogen bulbs and is actually pretty bright. The pics were taken with the flash on which makes the inside of the tank look darker.
When take one without the flash will help us here appreicate the tank more buy being able to see better.

aquatic_wonders

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2007
SOCAL
calamari;1527229; said:
Nice! The background is very cool! Do you have more pics of the sump?
looks cool I like to see more of the sump too!

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
It looks great, I love the way you hung the light fixture, very classy.

I do agree that you may need to up the lighting a bit, can you put some floodlight bulbs in that fixture? You look like a hardcore DIYer, you could probably even wire that fixture for 3 small MH lights. You would need remote ballasts, of course, but it would sure be bright!

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
kumdoalan;1530151; said:
about the lighting...
What was the reason you went with some hang lighting and did not go with the normal aquarium lid?
It was because of the overall look I had envisioned in my mind. I don't live in million dollar home or anything but I like for my stuff to look nice if I am going to take the time to do it. The bulbs are mini flood halogens. I would of got a higher wattage but 60's were all I could find. The light is 20 inches above the tank and the heat from the lights is about 85 degrees at the tank surface. I used the same 1/2" acrylic to make the lids which have clear glass handles. I just wanted to make it different. I don't have live plants in it so the intense light is not needed. The lights are on a timer for 8am to 8pm operation. It is bright enough I don't have to use the other lights in the living room. I tried to get pics without the flash but they don't look as good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store