My fiddler crab

jgerou85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2013
Northern Michigan
My male fiddle crab lost his main claw. Isn't a big issue or will it be fatal? Any answers will be appreciated thanks

Sent from my SGH-S959G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jgerou85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2013
Northern Michigan
I'll put him in a different aquarium for the time being. Does anyone know hownlong it takes to regrow a claw ?

chazwood918

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
CT
For the record, the duration between molts varies based on age, size, diet, etc. Generally I would say you don't have to wait any more than 3 months or so but losing an appendage for a crayfish or crab isn't life threatening unless it costs them a fight, they grow back at the next molt and by the time they molt a second time, it should return to normal size.

Chozoisw33d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2012
Georgia
When a crab loses it's claw, it will usually not simply die from that trauma. As you can see on this video of a fiddler crab alive with NO LEGS and only one eye. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBLe8kqdFjE) They are meant to detach a leg when "caught" much as a lizard does with its tail. Other times the leg can be torn off, not at the joint but without the crab allowing it. There is a way to tell the difference, if he has a little thin nub beside his body(much like the tip of a guitar amp cord, a narrow nub that "snaps in" to the leg) then it most likely was allowed. If it is halfway torn, or there is still a piece there, he most likely did not allow it. It is much easier to grow back and function with an "allowed" loss of limb.

The crabs will fight. The crabs will kill each other.Crabs with fewer legs will have a disadvantage. That is how crabs are. But if your crab is resourceful enough (AND HAS ENOUGH HIDING PLACES !!!! ) and has access to land , he can continue on long enough to molt, and after the molt he should recover the lost limb.

Seperating them has never worked for me as it traumatizes them more than heals.

jgerou85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2013
Northern Michigan
Yeah he kicked the bucket a while ago. So did my crawfish and half my real fish. I had some kind of issue with my water or stress or some unkown issue. The strong did survive and i replaced all the water , cleaned the gravel and replaced the filter. Now I just have fish and they seem happy. I dont know what happened but it seems to be over now. I would like to get a new crawfish or crab but with the track record i have with them i would just prolly see em kick the bucket so not right now anyways. That is a crazy video though and thanos for the info. Josh

Chozoisw33d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2012
Georgia
At petsmart red claws are only 2.50 and about the same at petco , just give them plenty of dry land and plenty of hiding spots. I have a 10 gallon with sand sloped on one side with plastic pieces inside as "foundation" , 2 filters and a heater, about 3 liters of water :nilly:. Also if they molt, which they will, after molting they are soft and buttery until their shell hardens, that's easy food for another crab. Also they have a sudden death syndrome at time during or right after a molt, freezing them in place permanently. They are so inexpensive , so it kinda evens out though.

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
When a crab loses it's claw, it will usually not simply die from that trauma. As you can see on this video of a fiddler crab alive with NO LEGS and only one eye. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBLe8kqdFjE) They are meant to detach a leg when "caught" much as a lizard does with its tail. Other times the leg can be torn off, not at the joint but without the crab allowing it. There is a way to tell the difference, if he has a little thin nub beside his body(much like the tip of a guitar amp cord, a narrow nub that "snaps in" to the leg) then it most likely was allowed. If it is halfway torn, or there is still a piece there, he most likely did not allow it. It is much easier to grow back and function with an "allowed" loss of limb.

The crabs will fight. The crabs will kill each other.Crabs with fewer legs will have a disadvantage. That is how crabs are. But if your crab is resourceful enough (AND HAS ENOUGH HIDING PLACES !!!! ) and has access to land , he can continue on long enough to molt, and after the molt he should recover the lost limb.

Seperating them has never worked for me as it traumatizes them more than heals.
um, that video is worthless, holds the crab tell maybe 3 to 5 sec towards the end of the video THEN puts it in the water...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store