my first and not last 250 gal indoor pond.

aiezzi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
nj
Yeah that is true I could get one of them but also I was thinking it would also aid when doing water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Does anyone have any idea of what I can use to insulate the walls of the pond?
Because you are using a pond liner you have a lot of options here. It depends how much work you want to do to make it look nice, and how much money you want to spend. The liner will benefit from having foam insulation between the wood and the liner just for cushioning. If it was me I'd be really tempted to use fiberglass (or foam) insulation between the vertical studs and skin the outside of the tank, making your walls super insulated, and giving it a finished look.

Having said that, where you will lose the most heat is from the surface of the water. Making transparent removable lids for the top will save you more energy than insulating the sides will (if you need to make a choice for budget reasons). The lids I did for my 600g used the corrugated polycarbonate sheeting they sell for patio and greenhouse roofing. It's pretty cheap and it doesn't warp like acrylic lids do. My 600g has 3 200W heaters in it, and it's out in my garage where the temp drops below freezing sometimes and I have no issues with tank temp. The walls are 3/4 plywood - not insulated.

aiezzi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
nj
Yeah I will definately be putting that foam under the liner and really am considering picking up some r30 to insulate the walls. I wanna know that it will hold a steady temp with out really having to over work the heater for it

aiezzi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
nj
Well my plan Is my firemouths , salvinis and my 2 peacock bass. Maybe my 2 dempseys. It all depends. If I stumble across some more fish I like then I will just stock it with them.

aiezzi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
nj
Well I have 2 of the interior walls done just gotta get one more sheet of plywood to finish then get the foam. I will upload a pic of how it sits now.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
A pond is nice and everything, but with those kind of fishes, you wont be able to enjoy them like you could. I have a temporary 550 gallon pond for my rays, its ok with the rays(since they are flat and swimming at the bottom), but all the other fishes in there comes away when it comes to viewing..the pond looks nice tho!:)

aiezzi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
nj
Yeah I know but with this being my first one it is my trial and error build. I really want this to be used as a grow out tank. Plus it will stay in my basement so I'm not to worried about being able to view my fish. The ones I have that I want to watch are out in my other tanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store