My First Big Boy Tank!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Thanks!

Once the new canister has cycled I'll add the substrates and finish the decor. Next couple of weeks will be mainly looking for rocks and drift woods.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Looking really good! I use the foam insualtion too & it keeps in way more heat than I expected - really saves on the electric bill. I've never seen a canopy built from it before though. That is a good idea. You might also want to look into a temperature controller. I just bought one from Jehmco & I'm liking the idea of not messing w/ my heaters when the seasons change.

BTW, I keep a vieja community in a 150. Had it up & running for a year now & its been the best tank I've ever kept. I misjudged on the 150 though, they really need the extra room a 180 gives them. An upgrade is in my future.

I don't keep Zonatus as everyone said they are more aggressive, but I have two sp. Coatzacoalcos & they look very similar. Good luck & keep this thread running.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Looking really good! I use the foam insualtion too & it keeps in way more heat than I expected - really saves on the electric bill. I've never seen a canopy built from it before though. That is a good idea. You might also want to look into a temperature controller. I just bought one from Jehmco & I'm liking the idea of not messing w/ my heaters when the seasons change.

BTW, I keep a vieja community in a 150. Had it up & running for a year now & its been the best tank I've ever kept. I misjudged on the 150 though, they really need the extra room a 180 gives them. An upgrade is in my future.

I don't keep Zonatus as everyone said they are more aggressive, but I have two sp. Coatzacoalcos & they look very similar. Good luck & keep this thread running.
Thanks!

Please explain why you need to mess with the heaters with the seasonal changes?

I've never actually seen any Viejas in person, only on Youtube, so I'm really looking forward to growing them out. Only have a 2.5" synspilum right now, but getting ready to place a big order on various baby Vieja species really soon. What was your coatzacoalcos growth rate?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Top work. Looks great. You may not be able to keep that branch for the long term. Is it dry drift wood?
Thanks!

No, the branch was a leafless branch that I sawed-off off a small tree on my property. Its not a permanent thing, just figure I break-up the bare tank look for a week or 2 before I take it out.

Thanks!

No, the branch was a leafless branch that I sawed-off off a small tree on my property. Its not a permanent thing, just figure I break-up the bare tank look for a week or 2 before I take it out.
Ah yes, I see. It would still have sap of sorts in it then which can be akin to rot, but if its temporary.

I really like the black framing. its well sorted!

Big Dave

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary
I once had a tank that was rancid. It had tons of filtration on it, water was crystal clear, weekly water changes but the smell could have gagged a goat. Turned out to be the wood in my tank was rotten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store