My first dip with dorado, sold as brassie by Rapps, thought to be frankie

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From 2" on May 5 to 10-11" Oct 11, so 5 months. Still nice and stable, very minor disagreements. Skittish though for the past 2 months or so.

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
It makes sense to me that they are skittish in a small tank with nowhere to go. They seem so exposed. I bet they are in defence mode. I'm sure you are right about this and you know way more than me about it. Terrific fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
So quick question I have the same one from the batch at predatory fins and are they franky or brassis ?
I've not done anymore on the ID front than what had been done before. I am waiting for them to grow up and hoping this would clarify the ID.

It makes sense to me that they are skittish in a small tank with nowhere to go. They seem so exposed. I bet they are in defence mode. I'm sure you are right about this and you know way more than me about it. Terrific fish.
Thank you for thinking along. IDK if I know more. It just seems a solid guess.

Reactions: Redshark1

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It wasn't easy. We lost 4 out of 11vdue to infighting. Read back a few pages, it is all in this thread. Eventually they had been separated into 3 tanks/groups until they grew to about half a foot and then recombined again. The females took the leading position in the group so males stopped killing each other. Or so it was explained to me by a peer to who these fish are local.

shogun rua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Reel North
How do you differentiate males for females?
How big is the tank you are housing them so far?
If i wanted to buy only one for my tank I have no clue what other fish I would put him with... Any ideas?

Thanks...

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IDK how to tell the sexes. What I mentioned was an explanation by a knowledgeable peer of why the recombined group had turned out largely manageable (so far).

So far this group has been in 240 gal.

Our first experience had been with just one dorado. We kept it with great many different fish in different tanks. If you look over the thread from the OP until we had to kill off the first fish at about 2 feet by the government order, you will see the tank mates we kept it with. There weren't any big issues actually. Perhaps we got lucky as fish personalities can vary. Based on their reputation, we expected much worse.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store