My first monster tank!

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Tessalata and Zebra morays are leading candidates!
Both get over 5' though man...you'd have to upgrade down the road probably but I do agree they're cool looking

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Those two species will be perfectly fine in there for life...
Why do you say that? 5' is almost as long as his tank and is over twice as long as the width of his tank...the eel would be crammed in that size tank if housed for life (I would think).

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Why do you say that? 5' is almost as long as his tank and is over twice as long as the width of his tank...the eel would be crammed in that size tank if housed for life (I would think).
Their behavior is why they do not need a huge aquarium. Consider the fact that they spend the vast majority of their time in their dens waiting for a meal to pass by; they enjoy tight spaces as it makes them feel secure. They're like the fish equivalent of a large snake and can be cared for as such.

Besides, why would LiveAquaria.com and numerous other reputable sites say that a 180 gallon aquarium is the minimum?

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Their behavior is why they do not need a huge aquarium. Consider the fact that they spend the vast majority of their time in their dens waiting for a meal to pass by; they enjoy tight spaces as it makes them feel secure. They're like the fish equivalent of a large snake and can be cared for as such.

Besides, why would LiveAquaria.com and numerous other reputable sites say that a 180 gallon aquarium is the minimum?
I know eels behaviors and that they spend vast majority of their time in their caves/dens but, IMO, the tank still isn't large enough for one for a lifetime...eels do go out and swim once in awhile and you also got to keep in mind how much of the tanks capacity is consumed with the rocks.

I know LiveAquaria is a reputable website but they also say a Chiloscyllium punctatum "black banded cat shark" can live in a 180g even though they get over 4' in length and like lots of room to swim. This is only one example of crazy and false info provided by them.

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
I will take that into consideration. Is 5' the wild ocean max length or is it commonly achieved in an aquarium. If it is I will take those or which ones do grow 4+ feet in aquariums off my list. Thanks for all the info guys.

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
I will take that into consideration. Is 5' the wild ocean max length or is it commonly achieved in an aquarium. If it is I will take those or which ones do grow 4+ feet in aquariums off my list. Thanks for all the info guys.
I believe thats their common max length in home aquaria and thanks for taking that into consideration...

on the other hand, fire coral eels are still not out of question :grinno:...http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/large/lg-90107-fire-coral-eel.jpg

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
Besides a 5' eel would probably snack on some of my fish if they are under 12". That wouldnt be cool. Still need to know If I can use the sch 80 bulkheads or if I need to use the ABS style. They are my next step in this build so someoneplease help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store