I can hear your wife now...."don't fall on your ass!"
haha
:D

Comatose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Boston
Their behavior is why they do not need a huge aquarium. Consider the fact that they spend the vast majority of their time in their dens waiting for a meal to pass by; they enjoy tight spaces as it makes them feel secure. They're like the fish equivalent of a large snake and can be cared for as such.

Besides, why would LiveAquaria.com and numerous other reputable sites say that a 180 gallon aquarium is the minimum?
We're talking about two VERY different versions of 5 feet. G. zebra will regularly hit 4 feet or more, but remains very snake life, with a low girth to length ratio. The two tesselata species on the other hand, G. favagineus and isingteena, have a maximum reported length of 8 feet and can be as thick as your calf at 5 feet and thigh at 8 feet. Both will make quick snacks of whatever they can, or sometimes can't fit in their mouths.

I know eels behaviors and that they spend vast majority of their time in their caves/dens but, IMO, the tank still isn't large enough for one for a lifetime...eels do go out and swim once in awhile and you also got to keep in mind how much of the tanks capacity is consumed with the rocks.

I know LiveAquaria is a reputable website but they also say a Chiloscyllium punctatum "black banded cat shark" can live in a 180g even though they get over 4' in length and like lots of room to swim. This is only one example of crazy and false info provided by them.
Couldn't agree more.

I will take that into consideration. Is 5' the wild ocean max length or is it commonly achieved in an aquarium. If it is I will take those or which ones do grow 4+ feet in aquariums off my list. Thanks for all the info guys.
Four feet is a great max to set. The zebra should still be an option for you. Regardless, definitely get a moray!

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
I see Live Aquaria divers den has a really nice zebra and harlequin tusk , doubt either will be there when Im ready for them. Not sure as to the order I should add these fish when time comes. Just got home from picking up a used Reef flo snapper pump. Hopefully this will work well enough so I can get this tank flowing! Still no thoughts on the red sea max 1800 skimmer but thats still my leading candidate. Need to pull the trigger soon on one that all Im missing.

Comatose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Boston
My only take away on that skimmer is it's massive and difficult to fit in most sumps.

I'd say you can put the Zebra in whenever... it's a wonderful aquarium species.

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
Nice!

I can hear your wife now...."don't fall on your ass!"
haha
:D

That may be an exact quote lol!

My only take away on that skimmer is it's massive and difficult to fit in most sumps.

I'd say you can put the Zebra in whenever... it's a wonderful aquarium species.
Awesome news about the zebra. I am trying to wait for my 90 gallon to sell before ordering the skimmer... keyword being trying. If not sold by wednesday then I will order the skimmer anyway.

Also just had a few people help me move the tank to its display spot. Now I can begin plumbing and building the sump to specs. !!

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
I will be buying the tusk from divers den to make sure its colorful and healthy. I have overlooked the fact the I needed a non tempered glass tank for the sump since Im runnning and external pump. Off to a glass place tomorrow to check if its tempered, get some baffles made, and drill the hole for a bulkhead.

Comatose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Boston
Dude! You need to cycle the tank before you put livestock it! Get Spongebob and Gary out or they won't make it!

Lolz.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store