My First Plywood Build ~280 Gal. (Lots of pics)

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
So here it is .. the start to my build ... this should be a fun .. and im sure longer and more expensive journey then i plan .. but as long as i dont go broke i guess its ok...

First i talked to www.glasscages.com and i think im going to get the glass from them [FONT=&quot]1/2 Plate Glass 12mm Regular Plate Glass one sheet of 72” x 30” and 2 sheets of 30” x 30” price of the glass should be $135 for the large sheet and ~$57 each for the 2 smaller ones at a unit price of $9 a sq ft. giving a total price of $319 after the $70 shipping fee.. next i picked up some random stuff from Lowes and the pond coat from permadri ... and here are some pics

This might be what i use for the front and sides to get a little better look after painted/strained ..

what will soon be my stand :p

Some one said something about GE Silicone I being safe.. im not sure how true that is ... any input on that?? there is also a Silicone II and then small Tubes of Aquarium safe stuff .. but its much much more...

ohh lookie what i got today

oh its just that ..

Some testing materials .. just stuff i needed to get anyways .. so i can start running some test to make me feel beter about this stuff ...

Convinsed the GF i "need" this for "house work" he he he

ha ha i WIN!!!

im still looking at the rest of the stuff i need to get .. and the odds and ends ... but i figured i would get some advise from the comunity here before i spent more money ..
[/FONT]

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Great materials for the build. Make sure to use only fine sponge rollers for the rubber. Dont use fabric ones or you will get little hairs all htrew the rubber. Cource sponge also leaves behind tiny pieces of sponges. Fine sponge works best for that stuff i found.

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
Plan on using the plywood to build a frame then cut out viewing windows for the front and sides ... using the pond coat to seal the plywood and windows ..

drill glue and screw the plywood together ...

maybe a little more detail on what you would like to know?

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
joey020283;3124186; said:
Great materials for the build. Make sure to use only fine sponge rollers for the rubber. Dont use fabric ones or you will get little hairs all htrew the rubber. Cource sponge also leaves behind tiny pieces of sponges. Fine sponge works best for that stuff i found.

ahh ha perfect .. thank you .. i was racking my brain at Lowes trying to figure out what to use .. lol thank you ... ps ... its your build that got me to do this .. so .. thank you ... or i hate you .. dont know which yet..

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
great material's can't wait to see where you go from here and how thing's turn out for you. What was your price quote from glasscages.com?

mr.reef24

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
Iffrat;3124050; said:
First i talked to www.glasscages.com and i think im going to get the glass from them [FONT=&quot]1/2 Plate Glass 12mm Regular Plate Glass one sheet of 72” x 30” and 2 sheets of 30” x 30” price of the glass should be $135 for the large sheet and ~$57 each for the 2 smaller ones at a unit price of $9 a sq ft. giving a total price of $319 after the $70 shipping fee.
[/FONT]
:D

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Iffrat;3124201; said:
ahh ha perfect .. thank you .. i was racking my brain at Lowes trying to figure out what to use .. lol thank you ... ps ... its your build that got me to do this .. so .. thank you ... or i hate you .. dont know which yet..

I messed up the overall finnished look of mine by putting a coat on with a bristle brush. I now see every brush stroke i did. I did it with a brush just to do the corners thicker, but i ended up doing a thick coat over the entire tank thinking it would be better. It still cured fine, but i wouldnt do that again. overall, it didnt ruin the tank, but i now i know not to do it with this stuff. Do the corners and seams nice and thick with a sponge brush(like i should have) and do the rest of the tank with the sponge roller. applying it is just like paint(you'll see what i mean) so it is very easy to rush it, but take your time. it doesnt forgive your mistakes once it cures. If you get it on your hands, get most of it off with a rag and let the rest cure(cures in seconds on yours hands) then it just rubs off. it does not come off clothing, so be carefull, i ruined a few shirts with this stuff. also, if you get sloppy with it and get it on the outside of the tank, it is really hard to get off. I have to shave off the wood and sand where i slopped some. it wasnt easy.

I wish you luck in your build, and i will be watching!

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
joey020283;3124821; said:
I messed up the overall finnished look of mine by putting a coat on with a bristle brush. I now see every brush stroke i did. I did it with a brush just to do the corners thicker, but i ended up doing a thick coat over the entire tank thinking it would be better. It still cured fine, but i wouldnt do that again. overall, it didnt ruin the tank, but i now i know not to do it with this stuff. Do the corners and seams nice and thick with a sponge brush(like i should have) and do the rest of the tank with the sponge roller. applying it is just like paint(you'll see what i mean) so it is very easy to rush it, but take your time. it doesnt forgive your mistakes once it cures. If you get it on your hands, get most of it off with a rag and let the rest cure(cures in seconds on yours hands) then it just rubs off. it does not come off clothing, so be carefull, i ruined a few shirts with this stuff. also, if you get sloppy with it and get it on the outside of the tank, it is really hard to get off. I have to shave off the wood and sand where i slopped some. it wasnt easy.

I wish you luck in your build, and i will be watching!
great now im scared .. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store