My first spawn of African pike characin (Hepsetus odoe)

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
By the way, this was my thread. Maybe you can find something there that helps you.
I'm rooting for you, this is awesome. Tubifex is a great idea, you've got this!
Odoe Pikes making foam ... | MonsterFishKeepers.com
Thank you very much!
I already read your thread like hundreds times before I preparing breeding tank!
Hope we can find some more interesting things of this species with your threads this time!

Reactions: HarleyK

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Wonderful!
Could you share your tank size, water parameters, temperature?
Mine didn’t want to spawn until the temp went up considerably. Maybe a trigger?
Also: what have you been feeding the parents? Mine were on Massivore pellets.

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
Wonderful!
Could you share your tank size, water parameters, temperature?
Mine didn’t want to spawn until the temp went up considerably. Maybe a trigger?
Also: what have you been feeding the parents? Mine were on Massivore pellets.
In my case, tank was 120×60×50(h)cm size and temperature 24.5~25.5 (my setup was 25.5).
I can't sure about the pH because I didn't measure it but probably around 6.

I used to keep them in bigger tank with many bichirs at same temperature so it doesn't seems they triggered by temp but I added some tannin acid and Ketachu (idk exact English name of it but it's work similar with kettapa leafs) to let them make bubble easier. (Also seal almost perfectly to maintain air humid)

The spawn was placed only 2~3 days after I move them so I think the water parameter and humid air that make easier to make and maintain bubbles is what triggered them.

Which is almost the same methods that I used for bubble nest builder-type of Betta.

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5ZgyKFymEQ/?igsh=MWRxY2R4bGx3Y3dqZQ==

this is also very interesting behavior to me.

This specimen (female) always trying to attack my hand or anything moving nearby their frys since they spawn but the male seems don't really mind about me at all.

Male just keep maintaining it's nest and get frys together while female act like protecting them from predetors (which usually done by male in other species).

Seems male and female has different role on caring frys.

I wonder they keep different role each other or not after the frys start free swimming.

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5ZgyKFymEQ/?igsh=MWRxY2R4bGx3Y3dqZQ==

this is also very interesting behavior to me.

This specimen (female) always trying to attack my hand or anything moving nearby their frys since they spawn but the male seems don't really mind about me at all.

Male just keep maintaining it's nest and get frys together while female act like protecting them from predetors (which usually done by male in other species).

Seems male and female has different role on caring frys.

I wonder they keep different role each other or not after the frys start free swimming.
I suspect maybe that's because only male can produce bubbles for it's nest but I can't very sure about that till I see some more cases.

(Sadly, these are my only pair so it will take quite long time to figure out about it)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store