My first Sunfish, Longear versus cichlid

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I didn't see anyone in this thread referring to them as cold water, only one person who said that he keeps them in cold water. Mine were also in an unheated tank, (longears) and when the ambient temp went up a few degrees, I could definitely see behavioral differences, including ramped up aggression. As far as whether they do better in cooler temps, or more tropical temps - Being cool: how body temperature influences ageing and longevity

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4486781/

Obviously one is not going to find definitive data on every species of ornamental fish kept in captivity, but for myself it's not a huge leap to extrapolate much of the data available, across the board to numerous species of finfish, including sunfish. Which is why back in 2015 when the OP posted this discussion, I stated: The tank temperature debate is ongoing, I personally believe that this genus does better in cooler water, and from experience I can tell you that as the temp goes up (such as in your tank) so will the aggression in your longear.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
A lot of people here keep calling them cold water lol
Redear sunfish are fairly territorial about nest,but not as much as most other sunfish or sa cichlids.
And yes I went slightly off topic (barely) as I have a lot of experience managing sunfish in aquaria and ponds
Why do you keep bringing up redear sunfish? Isn't this thread about the longear sunfish, a completely different species?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Why do you keep bringing up redear sunfish? Isn't this thread about the longear sunfish, a completely different species?
Because it was mentioned in another post in this thread, and yes I know the obvious differences between R.E and L.E sunfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store