My first turtle tank

Southern Rebel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2012
TN,USA
This is my first turtle tank. It is a 40 gallon breeder with a eheim 2217. with a large floating basking dock. few rocks, a driftwood which is floating. pool filter sand for substrate. and a eheim jager 250 watt heater. I am using a 5.0 bulb and a 125 watt heat bulb. The stock is 1 hatchling wide striped southern painted turtle, 1 hatchling high orange Mississippi map turtle. Once they mature I will upgrade tanks/or separate them if there is a issue. I asked for 2 males and my source said he did his best to pick 2 males but they are so young he cannot guarantee it. Here's some pics and videos! btw in the first video we thought the wide striped was dead :( it was sad. but he just couldn't flip back over and they were extremely cold!! Enjoy!

we thought he was dead :(
[YT]FeD92Um9Urg[/YT]
I rushed them into the heat lamp!
[YT]zZqv8KJMFuc[/YT]
just a video of them after they went into the water
[YT]Ce_dI-K1Kp0[/YT]
just them chilling in their new home
[YT]TBPrJz6jh0M[/YT]

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Couple things.

1. Plants should be real - otherwise the turtles will nibble on them and die from plastic chips building up in their stomach.
2. They can't be sexed at this age - and, if they are two males, they will fight. 2 females is much better.
3. Pay VERY GOOD attention to their diet. Vary it as much as possible and make sure they get all the different foods that they need.

Southern Rebel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2012
TN,USA
I was told real plants will be eaten and plastic are the way to go, just watch out for them eating them lol guess I'll just keep an eye out on the plants. I wanted males because they get much smaller.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Real plants WILL be eaten - that is the point, and that is the reason plastic ones are bad for them. By the time you "watch for it" it will be too late.

With two males, you will end up with constant fighting no matter what - but with these species, the females don't get huge either. But you won't know this for a while yet.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Since you don't want to hear from experienced keepers, why are you here , then?

The reason turtles eat plants, is because it's an integral part of their diet.

Southern Rebel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2012
TN,USA
I guess I will look into buying some real plants for them to eat. I will need more lighting though I suppose?

Southern Rebel

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2012
TN,USA
I never said I wasn't listening to what you had to say. I simply showed another opinion. It appears its your way or the highway though. Thank You

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store