My fish have ich...but why?

Texs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
El Paso TX
My Pacus have fungus...I think, they seam to have a white "peach fuzz" all over them and they seem to be "molting".

Texs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
El Paso TX
I came home from class and my Pacus are dead...:(

Texs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
El Paso TX
Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 5

pH 7.4

And I vac the gravel and change 25% of the water twice a day once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

Temp. Fluctuates between 79 and 81

So how should I treat my Oscars. I woke up this morning and they were active and even ate (which they haven't done for a couple days). I don't want them getting fungus like the Pacus.

The Ich is now spreading very slowly to the rest of their bodies they only had them on their fins before.

Like I stated though they seem more active now that the Pacus are gone and they are eating but the Ich seems worse. I am confused.

volcomstone

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2006
SoCal
I would raise the temp higher to 84-85 and insert an airstone (if none in the tank). Continue to do WC and add salt.

As for the fungus, I would try adding Pimafix as a preventative measure for your oscars.

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Might want to Quarantine the fish who have it. It's xfered by touch (skin to skin etc). I used a cheap plastic hang over the top breeding cage (paid 9 bucks for it, could form 3 chambers with it).

Raise the tamps and add salt - pump air into the tank also if you can (stone works great).

The temp are the most important, it increases the life span cycle of the ich (2-3 days is what it usually last on a fish - then it falls off and dies, unless if gets xfered to another fish, which is why you want to quarantine them)

Don't bother with purchasing meds, in my experience they do not work.

I lost a small Serevum to ich. Sucked.

Good luck!

Texs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
El Paso TX
Okay I need to raise the temp then.

The two Oscars are by themselves now since the Pacus are dead.

So I should just keep doing what I am doing and only raise the temp? no Meds?

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
If they are eating and the ich appears to not be bothering them I would just raise the temps to 83-84 and just ride it out until Friday. It should be gone by then.

I run a community tank. So when that crap hit my tank all hell broke lose....the plecos got it first....and they got it bad.

It was my own fault though. I purchased 6 fish from the pet store and put them all in at the same time with the existing stock...not the best of ideas...hehe

Dustonthecabnit

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
Texas
www.myspace.com
So far anytime i have a situation like this NOTHING works. What BRAND of salt are you guys using??? It killed the fish my g/f picked out and now she hates it when i spend money......

Texs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
El Paso TX
BigCountry;3109032; said:
If they are eating and the ich appears to not be bothering them I would just raise the temps to 83-84 and just ride it out until Friday. It should be gone by then.

I run a community tank. So when that crap hit my tank all hell broke lose....the plecos got it first....and they got it bad.

It was my own fault though. I purchased 6 fish from the pet store and put them all in at the same time with the existing stock...not the best of ideas...hehe

See that is why I am confused. I bought all four fish at the same time. They were all fine and then they got Ich.

The only thing I ever introduce to the tank is feeders and those I only hand feed one at a time to the Oscars. They about 2.75 inches and they already eat feeders from my hand.:)

Plus I only buy my feeders from the best pet store in town they really care about their fish they are really healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store