My fish rooms build

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Pentair had/has a cyber Monday deal, 20% off. Get another 5% when you sign up for the newsletter. They stack. 600 gallon fgt with window front is ordered. Electrician is coming by this week to give a quote on bringing power to the room and adding a new breaker. Everything is finished space making things slightly more difficult, of course

Couple fish updates. This new friend is one of the newest inhabitants in the 90.20231106_155348.jpg
Our not so little friend here decided to see how hard a piece of driftwood was... With his eyeball.
20231109_163434.jpg
The good news: it healed almost completely within about 2 weeks. Honestly amazing if you ask me. This picture was taken after about 5 days once the swelling went down
The bad news: it's definitely no longer functional and our friend is now partially blind. :c
*for those concerned, all driftwood has since been removed and the plecos diets have been supplemented accordingly*

The things they don't tell you about keeping catfish, the ones that you can only see from certain angles because they hide. lol. Like my little eclipse back there who rarely leaves his tube. :)
This picture also makes it very obvious why it's time for an upgrade. Tank is 23" internally side to side, in this shot
20231125_150829.jpg

And this Raphael who I sometimes forget is in the tank... Okay not really :)
20231126_220411.jpg

And here's the largest FL gar just being a gar
20231119_003055.jpg

I also ordered some aircraft grade sand paper I saw/heard about to hopefully polish the tanks without draining them. Grit goes from 1200 to 24000. 👀 Will probably make a new post if it works. Or I guess if it doesn't too. Share the knowledge!

Oh yeah, here's a bichir too. I still have them haha
20231126_220319.jpg
As you can see, the acrylic is scratched and makes taking pictures of the tank a little less appealing than it was. But hopefully that'll be fixed soon.

Hopefully more to follow soon. Happy turkey day to those who celebrated!

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Well the sandpaper definitely works. Just a teaser. Still a ton of work left to do. But after 2 days on the left side there's a very noticeable improvement
20231202_182032.jpg
Some close ups of the untouched side vs the almost completed side
20231202_171742.jpg
20231202_170535.jpg

Also a huge shout out to my lfs for letting be borrow some novus. Thanks Crowell and Lauren! if you see this(I know you lurk on here from time to time lmao)

Last edited:

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Awesome thread! I have a quick question: how did you do those plants in the tank? I've been wanting to do something like that for a while, and I like the way you did yours.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Awesome thread! I have a quick question: how did you do those plants in the tank? I've been wanting to do something like that for a while, and I like the way you did yours.
Thanks! There's a lot of plants so you'll have to be a little more specific lol

The plants underwater are all pushed in with long tweezers

The plants all growing above water are started floating or hanging over the side, like one would typically start a cutting. I just don't remove them once they start to root. I have 3 baskets full of clay pebbles (leca) that I use as a plant nursery and do remove them usually once they've rooted. The elephant ear were grown in pots filled with black diamond blasting sand.
To get the wall climbing effect, I hung lighting egg crate from the wall and twist tied the plants to it as they grew.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Thanks! There's a lot of plants so you'll have to be a little more specific lol

The plants underwater are all pushed in with long tweezers

The plants all growing above water are started floating or hanging over the side, like one would typically start a cutting. I just don't remove them once they start to root. I have 3 baskets full of clay pebbles (leca) that I use as a plant nursery and do remove them usually once they've rooted. The elephant ear were grown in pots filled with black diamond blasting sand.
To get the wall climbing effect, I hung lighting egg crate from the wall and twist tied the plants to it as they grew.
I'm not very good with plant names so I couldn't give you many specifics, but I mean the pothos and the monstera. Thank you for the info!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store