my gar broke his back:{

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
very sorry to hear about your gar, it is definitely an impressive specimen. unfortunately most gars don't heal from broken backs, and those that do are usually of the genus Atractosteus. this may have morphological implications as they are of much stouter stature. unfortunately the other genus, Lepisosteus generally doesn't heal (chances are low for the whole family) as often, and i have never seen a shortnose or longnose heal up from this sort of injury (both of those species seem most prone to the injury as well).

furthermore, the clove oil you can buy at the store is usually not high enough concentration to kill a gar (i've dealt with this), so you may have to get specifically pure clove oil from your pharmacy...if they have it.

the simplest thing to go is get a bucket of ice water and put the gar into that...leave it for about an hour or so and then put it in a bag in your freezer to complete the process. putting down a gar is never fun or easy, especially when it's a treasured pet; but it is the most humane thing to do. i would go with putting it on ice (if you have a big enough freezer you can just skip the ice water step and place the fish into a plastic bag and put it in the freezer).

again, very sorry for your loss--
--solomon

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
I AM SORRY TO HEAR THIS about this gorgeous gar.. i am no expert but would it be good to give it some time...at least i am hoping for the best anyway...but of course do not want it to suffer either..

Mike fail

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
ponca city oklahoma
if he can still move all of his fins his spine has not been severed which means its just bone thats broken

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
Here's the dilemma when it comes to pets...

Keep something alive that is in unbearable pain for our own enjoyment, put something out of it's misery because it's suffering, or wortk with it and try to pulkl it through.

If the fish is unphased by it, let it live if it's health begins to fail off him.

BigJ

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Ohio
If you do it Clove oil is the only real choice. Just use a whole bottle.

BigJ

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Ohio
MsMassPoly;2685530; said:
he seem to get worse and worse today so i just used the clove oil and this is my first time crying from a fish dieing:{

Sorry for your loss. :( But i'm sure you made the best choice for your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store