Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
this_is_doone;2565324; said:
thats awesom
Thanks

Yellowlab;2565715; said:
Yes, it can be quite powerful. To construct this first build the base (Just a tire, rim and axle. slice the tire open and fill it with concrete. Keep the Axle attached)
then cut/split the 55 Gallon Drum in half (top to bottom) and weld each half to the axle (each half of the 55 gallon drum like a pin wheel to catch wind). It will now freely spin with the wind. Attach a pulley and the alternator. Now you are putting out 85 watts of continous 13.8 volt power. (Not so strong) attach this to constantly charge 10 car batteries and get an inverter that changes 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC. Now you are only limited to the power of the inverter.

Another cheap way to do it, is to take a Lawn Mower. Drill a hole in the deck and mount the alternator straight down. Remove the Blade and attach a pulley then attach this to your car batteries. Same system, but 5 HP uses very little gas. Fill tank when batteries get weak, start engine then go to work. When you get home batteries will be charged and lawn mower will be quiet. Silent power during the night, because it is fully charged when you get home. Not a bad trade off for $1.00 worth of gasoline. it Costs only a few cents to fully charge each battery. 10 batteries fully charged for a buck. $1.00 a day $30.00 a Month Not a bad electric bill. It will not run your house, but it will provide a LOT of power when needed.
Hoooooo, yes. Good ideas. When I have the time I'll do something regarding this.

severum1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
Tom@geckolounge;2565822; said:
thank you for this inspirational and still ongoing story!!
I realy love your Australoheros facetum. A friend of mine keeps these in outdoor tanks in the Netherlands ..... together with other cichlids from Uruguay.
:)

The tube heating system you put in between your roof layers is a gem! It would indeed be an idea if you could use the roof of the adjacent house, and put the black tubes on it. This would limit the reduction of light in your greenhouse.

Truly inspiring! I have forwarded this thread to 2 fora in the Netherlands (although it is much colder up north, some freeks are still trying things ;-)
It's good to know that i'm not alone and i'm not the only crazy here :ROFL:

Oh, question: do you offer holiday rentals in your Country House??? :)
:ROFL:

No, but i'll be very happy to receive everyone that want to visit me. :)

severum1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
So here I am with an update. Do you miss me :grinno:

I didn't do much. Only the normal cleaning and feeding.

The water is around 10/12°C outside, what is not normal for this time of year, inside the greenhouse near 16°C and the rays tank is between 21/23ºC. Interesting.

The rays tank

Today, the heating system has worked for a long time :). It's good because it has rained a lot for the last days.

in the left corner you can see my motoro male

The interior lake is full of Geophagus Bahia Red. When I say full, is really full!!!! From 1cm frys up to some with 20cm or more.

One of theses two is covered due to some african cichlids there are inside.

severum1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
I've taken to my rays tank this male Pearl.

Beautiful?

He was getting big and this tank is better for him.

I hope everything goes well. I believe that he's going tp be ok!

He ate at the same day, what is always a good sign.

Here he is the next day

Now a picture from my male Motoro

He's needing a girl, eheheh

Scubarod

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
Stoon
wow, i also went through the entire thread!!!! very cool. thanks and keep us happy with more updates!!!!

Rod

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
the ray water looks very clear.

also! pics of the geos :D

severum1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
le patron;2607274; said:
:)

5am;2608122; said:
great update! i always love new pics sev.
Thanks

Scubarod;2608934; said:
wow, i also went through the entire thread!!!! very cool. thanks and keep us happy with more updates!!!!

Rod
Thanks

Liam;2608941; said:
the ray water looks very clear.

also! pics of the geos :D
It's incredible how the water is clear. You notice ;) Only plants ;)

It's dificult to take pics from the Geos. It's a big pond. But i'll try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store