• Female

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
You got convicts to breed outside in winter? lol ok, I give up....unless you're in the Amazon, N. Australia or Equatorial Africa, I'm not seeing how. True, 72F is recommended low for Tropical fish, and while during a power outage I had many fish hold strong at 56F - Jacks, Jaguars, Cons, Jewels, Texas, etc.....but I lost a few stunning Acaras and Green Terrors, and in other instances I lost Jaguar-fingerlings in 68F-70F the previous year.

Fish are too unpredictable.
I'm in Tasmania, about 7°c on average in winter. :) and I've no idea how I done it, their tank had a heater but it was only really in there to stop the tank dropping below 15°c.. I went to bed one night, got up and they had eggs in a rock cave (I never noticed the eggs before bed, but they could have been there then), I never thought anything of it, thinking that it'd be to cold for the eggs to hatch, but a few days later there were probably 150 wrigglers in the tank. I was shocked, even more so when roughly two weeks later the power went out for a day or so, and I only lost 6 or 7 fry.. Ever since I've been amazed at the resilience of these little fish, and their willingness to breed.. One day (when I'm a bit older) I would like to try it again to see if I can work out what it was that drove them to spawn the first time, and what the chances are of it happening at such cold temperatures.. Because I'd assume they're not too high.. :)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Why all the rave? Seriously, they are some mean little hardcore gangster-fish, but dude....lol, idk, I just need more of a challenge I guess.

That's when I became a Jaguar-fanatic :p

No difference in care, just an extra 10-inches of BEAST. :D

EDIT - Jaguars need more crude protein.
Convicts are the only cichlid I've seen (maybe salvini too, and amphs), target an Oscar or bigger fish; by nipping them then hiding behind a bit of wood, flaring aggressively and just being general pests. That type of trolling grants them a special place in my heart lol.

Plus they get stocky as hell, they're like mini midas; intelligent little guys, always doing something lol

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Convicts are the only cichlid I've seen (maybe salvini too, and amphs), target an Oscar or bigger fish; by nipping them then hiding behind a bit of wood, flaring aggressively and just being general pests. That type of trolling grants them a special place in my heart lol.

Plus they get stocky as hell, they're like mini midas; intelligent little guys, always doing something lol
Did you just try to tell me a fish was trolling? I troll for fish, not the other way around. You saying a fish is trolling is.....well......uh....trolling lol
I'm in Tasmania, about 7°c on average in winter. :) and I've no idea how I done it, their tank had a heater but it was only really in there to stop the tank dropping below 15°c.. I went to bed one night, got up and they had eggs in a rock cave (I never noticed the eggs before bed, but they could have been there then), I never thought anything of it, thinking that it'd be to cold for the eggs to hatch, but a few days later there were probably 150 wrigglers in the tank. I was shocked, even more so when roughly two weeks later the power went out for a day or so, and I only lost 6 or 7 fry.. Ever since I've been amazed at the resilience of these little fish, and their willingness to breed.. One day (when I'm a bit older) I would like to try it again to see if I can work out what it was that drove them to spawn the first time, and what the chances are of it happening at such cold temperatures.. Because I'd assume they're not too high.. :)
uhm, 7C = 32F right? I bred Ball pythons and once hatched I kept the young at 75F - normally respiratory infection-status, while the parents would stop eating entirely at 80F. The neonates however, had only ever known room-temperature once hatched, therefore in both my partners' and my own theory, if they are born into certain captive conditions they will be much more resilient to tolerate conditions others who haven't been conditioned for it wouldn't, explaining why my personally hatched young didn't stop eating until 72F and never had respiratory issues. Their parents, who had been bred and later purchased by me from other breeders never saw temperatures under 82F.

You had a male and a female in extraordinary conditions and Darwin was right again. That's all.....if a species views something as a threat to their existence, they do everything they can to continue their bloodline, including breed when they know the young MAY not survive.....

.....but they also might.

EDIT, just realized 0C = 32F.....what's 7C in Farenheit like 50F?

Last edited:

Evilking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2009
MN
IDK after seeing those pix.....it looks like you can see a nuchal hump developing at this point now.....hmmm, u may wanna call in the experts on this one duanes duanes Guapoteguy291 Guapoteguy291 convict360 convict360 Chicxulub Chicxulub Evz jardini Evz jardini Fat Homer Fat Homer
I can't believe you left my name out! :)

Anyway back to the poster's question. From the pictures you provided it is looks like a very nice female. In your pictures if you look underneath the eye you will see a black vertical line. Most female green terrors display this trait. I have seen some in male but mostly in females. At 6" the GT should have longer trailers and the color should be more brighter for a male. But you do have some other aggressive fish in the tank and that might be muting its colors. The trailer might be getting nip too. Anyways you do have a very nice GT there. I am just glad there are people out there still enjoying this colorful breed.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Evilking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2009
MN
Males also get the faint vertical black lines under their eyes if they are stressed out.

mike37909

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Knoxville TN
Thanks all! I will conclude it is a female. It is an awesome fish in my opinion but i had to seperate it from the jack dempsey. Makes me want to get another tank.....
I am sure some or all of you can relate.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think you have come to the right conclusion.
Although very nicely coloured it is a female.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I can't believe you left my name out! :)

Anyway back to the poster's question. From the pictures you provided it is looks like a very nice female. In your pictures if you look underneath the eye you will see a black vertical line. Most female green terrors display this trait. I have seen some in male but mostly in females. At 6" the GT should have longer trailers and the color should be more brighter for a male. But you do have some other aggressive fish in the tank and that might be muting its colors. The trailer might be getting nip too. Anyways you do have a very nice GT there. I am just glad there are people out there still enjoying this colorful breed.
lol I wouldn't have except I never heard of you :( I'll remember for next time though. Sorry, I'm still kinda new here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store