My Guianacara cf. stergiosi are sex maniacs

Rupununi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2011
Texas
I have a pair of wild Guianacara stergiosi in a 125g Guyana (SA) biotope with several other species. They are spawning every 3-4 weeks, 4 straight successful spawns. By successful I mean I am drowning in juvies. I pulled 2 sets of fry out of the tank from the previous 2 spawns and have them in a 20 g rearing tank, but left the last brood in the tank thinking they'd be eaten by tankmates. Many have, but many have not. Unbelievably, they just spawned again, with about 20 juvies still in the tank from the previous spawn. These rascals are insatiable sex fiends! I wouldn't care if it weren't for the aggression toward tankmates--all the other fish are being held hostage on one side of the tank. So, anyone else have experience with this "problem", and any suggestions short of splitting them up or getting rid of them altogether? One thought was to pull the spawning cave permanently but am dubious that this will be curb the urge. Thoughts?

baxter88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
bucks Pa
I have a pair of wild Guianacara stergiosi in a 125g Guyana (SA) biotope with several other species. They are spawning every 3-4 weeks, 4 straight successful spawns. By successful I mean I am drowning in juvies. I pulled 2 sets of fry out of the tank from the previous 2 spawns and have them in a 20 g rearing tank, but left the last brood in the tank thinking they'd be eaten by tankmates. Many have, but many have not. Unbelievably, they just spawned again, with about 20 juvies still in the tank from the previous spawn. These rascals are insatiable sex fiends! I wouldn't care if it weren't for the aggression toward tankmates--all the other fish are being held hostage on one side of the tank. So, anyone else have experience with this "problem", and any suggestions short of splitting them up or getting rid of them altogether? One thought was to pull the spawning cave permanently but am dubious that this will be curb the urge. Thoughts?
>>** Hi Im Intrested in 7 > Selling? Subadults or adults or Juvies? InTRESTED PRASAP Thanks alot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store