My Indo Dat starved himself to DEATH!

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
polypterus77;2470144; said:
sorry man, i never been able to starve a fish for more than 4 weeks, i think beyond that they get sick easy, sorry again :(
berserker;2470150; said:
Don't ever believe what hear about Dats never starving to death. I recently lost my 3-4" NGT after a similar time period.
I'll never leave Dats like that again and will continue to feed with thay're happy with. Lots of people said they can go months but I'd say that isn't the norm.

Well maybe if anything good can come from this, it's that we now know the absolute maximum time a 2.5" Datnoid can go without food. Maybe just go four weeks and you have to give in and feed it....don't be so stubborn like me.

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Sorry to hear of your loss buddy :(

Im in the process of trying to convert my IT to pellets,hes 5",how long do you think i should offer just pellets for?a month maybe?

steve

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
spwd;2472511; said:
Sorry to hear of your loss buddy :(

Im in the process of trying to convert my IT to pellets,hes 5",how long do you think i should offer just pellets for?a month maybe?

steve

Personally, my new maximum time limit will 2-3 weeks for a little fish, and a month for a bigger fish. I think the bigger the fish, the more easily it's able to go without food and for longer, so a month should be ok for yours. Good luck getting him to convert. It's completely awesome when they start taking pellets.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
so sorry to hear man!
I think dats are the hardest of all to loose since they have loads of personality..

thank you for stopping others from making the same mistake, now we know!

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
balton777;2469951; said:
Thanks and they're growing very quickly.

I've read of people's experience stating they can go months without eating but now I know different. :(
Again sorry for the loss, i too have heard people say that but i am very apprehensive so have not tried it. As you said we learned the hard way but at least we know its not true now.
The only time i have let fish go that long without food is in the cold water outdoor pond when it is winter they do not eat from November to February or later depending the weather and the fish.

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Hi balton,il keep going for a month and see how hes doing,and again so sorry for your loss

Steve

allegra

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Cal
balton777;2469951; said:
Thanks and they're growing very quickly.

I've read of people's experience stating they can go months without eating but now I know different. :(
I think that would depend on how big and fat the dat is. I can't imagine a 2.5" dat having enough fat and muscle reserve to go for months without food.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
ettfettbranamn;2473066; said:
so sorry to hear man!
I think dats are the hardest of all to loose since they have loads of personality..

thank you for stopping others from making the same mistake, now we know!
That's why were all here, right? :)

As much as I've learned here, I'm always happy to give back.

Tom500;2473094; said:
Again sorry for the loss, i too have heard people say that but i am very apprehensive so have not tried it. As you said we learned the hard way but at least we know its not true now.
The only time i have let fish go that long without food is in the cold water outdoor pond when it is winter they do not eat from November to February or later depending the weather and the fish.
I've never had to try starving for that long. But the poor thing only grew a half an inch in a year though and his buddies all gained at least 5". I figured I needed to do something drastic to get him on the pellets.

spwd;2473260; said:
Hi balton,il keep going for a month and see how hes doing,and again so sorry for your loss

Steve
If he doesn't take the pellets in a month. Let him fatten up for a while before trying it again. Mine got really thin towards the end. I honestly thought I was just about to break him. He was finally starting to check out the pellets but wouldn't eat any.

allegra;2473373; said:
I can't imagine a 2.5" dat having enough fat and muscle reserve to go for months without food.
You imagined correct. Mine couldn't even go six weeks.

Another thing, I've always been told a fish won't let itself starve to death.
Whatever! :irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store