My Little Community

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
Hey All,

Thought I'd share some pics of my community. :)

My puzzle-piece panorama of the 55g:

Convicts own the cave on the right, laid eggs in there thursday night. Should be hatching pretty soon. Male is 2.5", Female is 2".

Got a couple Firemouths that don't like to stay still for pictures. Not sure if they're male/female. One I think is a male cause I've seen it flare it's gills. Not sure on the other. Both about 2".

Then I got 3 Jack Dempseys. I got them all at around 2" a few weeks ago.

One has almost doubled in size since then, about 3.5". Not positive if it's Male or Female. It has blue on the lower gills, but not a lot. I'm leaning toward male though just cause of the growth rate.

2nd is definately female. Nice blue smear along the lower gill plate. She's about 3" now.

3rd I'm not sure on. It's stayed a lighter overall color, and hasn't grown much. It might be female, but it's not -as blue- as the 2nd. The other 2 pick on it a bit, so I'm thinking of returning it to the shop.

Other inhabitants are 3 Pictus:

And a couple Blue Gourami:

I have a 20g Long tank too that I'll be transfering the confict fry to once they hatch.

Pretty much it for now. :)

-Jester

Tropicalfishking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Seattle WA
Nice tank! I have one Blue Gourami, female full of eggs with no male. They are cool fish! I like the Fire Mouth Cichlids.

1,000th post!! Woot Woot!

Vapor315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Lol love the puzzle piece tank, very ingeneous.

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
So:
3 JDs
2 Firemouths
2 Convicts
3 Pictuss
and a couple gourami
In a 55gal. :WHOA:
Sounds like a war zone once these guys mature a little.

Something does seem a little odd with the stripping on the JD's. Im pretty sure they are pure JD though. And you were right with the sexing of the JD. 1 male 2 females. Looks nice and good luck with them.

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
FishingOut;4405140; said:
So:
3 JDs
2 Firemouths
2 Convicts
3 Pictuss
and a couple gourami
In a 55gal. :WHOA:
Sounds like a war zone once these guys mature a little.
Yeah, it will be a little crowded later on. ;) Got some Oto cats in there too, though they will be coming out pretty soon. The big JD is gonna be big enough to start eating them before too long. Will probably put them in some 20 longs with shrimp or something. Pictus and gourami will likely be moving to a community tank at some point.

Using the 55 as a way to get my wife on board for a 300+ plywood tank. :) Seems like it's working, She's already mentioned fish for the "next 55". She's talking about re-arranging the house to make room for more aquariums too. :grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store