My Masterpiece! (Come in & see my pics!)

richman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2004
toronto
Excellent background. If you live in Toronto I will get a case of beer and we can start on mine tomorrow (;.

Oreo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Baltimore
killarbb;2628119; said:
glockpost 4 lyfe
;) :headbang2

I think this is the last time I'll say anything about my stocking issues 'cause it's been pretty well covered by now, and, I know. We were sold the Columbian & the Scats by our LFS who had them marked as "community, fresh water fish". Wasn't till a year later I found out how incorrect that was. It was at that point I realized we needed to stop trusting what the LFS people were telling us & start doing our own research on stocking compatibility.

Carri & I aren't the type to abandon our responsibilities so we will continue to adapt our care to the needs of the fish as they grow. Right now they all are quite healthy & happy.

richman;2628155; said:
Excellent background. If you live in Toronto I will get a case of beer and we can start on mine tomorrow (;.
I live in Maryland. I'll happily be a consultant for and provide occasional assistance to anyone's local project. :)

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Hmmm, maybe I won't use a torch when I start doing bkgds. Did it really work that bad? Seems like it would be a great way to go :confused:.

r3d

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 5, 2008
[|x_O|]
Awesome tank!! looks so good im completely envious i lack the skill to do something like this.

Oreo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Baltimore
loach43;2628321; said:
Hmmm, maybe I won't use a torch when I start doing bkgds. Did it really work that bad? Seems like it would be a great way to go :confused:.
Well, I think the difference may lie in the fact that I used high density polystyrene, as well as the linear contours I was trying to achieve. Instead of just vaporizing the foam, what I got was a slow melting of the foam into a thick goop that would generate too much smoke & eventually catch on fire. When I used the soldering iron I would get nice crisp edges- the surrounding foam didn't distort the way it did with the torch. With the torch the foam that melted away turned into a thick, hard plastic shell ontop of the underlying foam. I actually had to use a claw-hammer to savagely gouge out the shell.

If I did it over again, I think I would use the regular light weight styrofoam. I think it would be a lot easier to shape- both with the torch and with the soldering iron.

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Oreo;2628431; said:
If I did it over again, I think I would use the regular light weight styrofoam. I think it would be a lot easier to shape- both with the torch and with the soldering iron.
Noted! Did you ever consider using an electric kitchen knife for any of this? That would be another item I'd like to experiment with but I'm guessing it would make a fierce mess, not that other methods don't.

Oreo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Baltimore
I don't think there's any escaping the fierce mess. Especially the way I work! :lol2::nilly:

I don't have an electric kitchen knife though, but I'm sure it could be helpful for certain shapes.

micstarz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Now that IS a masterpiece. I wouldn't mind being taught how to do a mini one for my mantis shrimp...;D

But take out that stupid koi. Add some salt, add some archer fish, add some monos, maybe a puffer, a water cow. Make that tank kick major ass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store