My MONSTER pond

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
Nice fish Ken, what the temperature running in that pond? I know these guys are cold water fish (more or less).
And what specific Masheer species are these guys, or all together what species do you have.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
niiice pond, btw does ur pond have uv lights in the filter for algae or u are going about it with some other idea
This may sound strange but there is no filter. Just a 40W UV to prevent green water and a mechanical. By keeping the water clear it allows wall algae to grow which is my intent. Here's the trick, the more fish you have to trim the algae the better otherwise the algae takes over. So you need to find the balance. My water look better after adding the 50 growouts. Wall algae is nicely groomed and bottom is picked clean of poop.
I feed them pellets everyday and they're jumping out of the water for it. It's crazy! They can also put down several fillets of tilapia in seconds which I don't do often. I'm pretty confident that some of the mahseers will hit 12" by the end of Summer. The putitora is suppose to be monster big as you know.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
This may sound strange but there is no filter. Just a 40W UV to prevent green water and a mechanical. By keeping the water clear it allows wall algae to grow which is my intent. Here's the trick, the more fish you have to trim the algae the better otherwise the algae takes over. So you need to find the balance. My water look better after adding the 50 growouts. Wall algae is nicely groomed and bottom is picked clean of poop.
I feed them pellets everyday and they're jumping out of the water for it. It's crazy! They can also put down several fillets of tilapia in seconds which I don't do often. I'm pretty confident that some of the mahseers will hit 12" by the end of Summer. The putitora is suppose to be monster big as you know.
Thats a super neat way to keep algae out, i think i know what i am going to do now.

yeah my putitoras are growing at a crazy speed, they should be getting into the pond very very soon now.

Yeah. The Golds do get big, but I have to wonder if it will reach a monster size under captive conditions.

How's its growth, by the way?
most of the indian mahseers i have seen in wild are monster size
even the khudree, being the smallest of the tors, i have seen 3'+ plus in wild, kumaradhara river to be specific

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Yeah. The Golds do get big, but I have to wonder if it will reach a monster size under captive conditions.

How's its growth, by the way?
I'm guessing you haven't seen the ones in Wes's (Rare Fish) tank. They are monsters!
Growouts are getting bigger.

Picture 1090.jpg

Picture 1080.jpg

Picture 1087.jpg

Picture 1089.jpg

Picture 1090.jpg

Picture 1080.jpg

Picture 1087.jpg

Picture 1089.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
They're growing like weeds. Pond temp is pretty warm. The blue guy is my fav.
IMG_5577.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

IMG_5577.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

yoganathan_kn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
india
yeah but mostly there are released back into the river by the anglers. it's a great sports fish. many europeans and foreigners come to karnataka india for this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store