my nandus nandus are spawning

angryinsect

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
British Columbia Canada
to my surprise i woke up this morning to see my nandus spawning. the two males took turns embracing the female while she released her eggs. ive been watching for the last 20 min and its still going on. tonight i'm gonna try to siphon some of the eggs out so they have a chance at survival. they have some of the smallest i've ever seen. i managed to get some video on my gfs phone that i will try and post tonight.

the tank and tankmates as follows
90g w/ lots of driftwood and dim lighting
1 16'' sal and a 7'' channa lucius
i will post water parameters when i get home from work(lfs)

if any one has sucessfully spawned this fish and has any tips for me they would be appreciated

cheers
Jordan

Industrial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Congrats!

Java Moss and Najas Grass have loads of microorganisms that the babies can feast on. Any plant does, but these kinds of plants have more surface area so they can harvest much more microorganisms. I wouldn't expect a lot of fry to survive past this stage though without having an infusoria culture. If you have any green water outside, you can try that just make sure there are no insects in it.

Next, live baby brine shrimp would be best. I would recommend keeping these guys off of feeders for as long as possible to minimize costs of feeding. If you want, read how to set up an infusoria culture for now as they may take long to finish digesting their yolk sacks and by the time they finish, the infusoria might be ready to feed.

How big are the adults? Any ideas on the triggers that made them spawn? I would love to try to spawn these guys, but they are difficult to find.

Lets see that video too!

angryinsect

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
British Columbia Canada
the female is about 4.5'' and the males are 3.5''. as for spawning triggers, the ph is around 6.5 and the temp is about 80-82f and drops a few degrees during water changes but its been a little over a week since the last change

Dave Armitage

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2015
How did your Nandus spawning results turn out ? I'd be interested in any details you could supply for the Anabantoid Association journal.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This thread is from 2011 and the author has not posted since 2013 so it's highly probable that you will not get a reply from him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store