my nano reef update

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
i have a bucket set up with heater/powerhead and the correct SG ready for tomorrow 1 gallon water change :)

the foam pad was out of my 100gallon tanks filter its about 3 month old i think i should change it because i also have in it another 2 foam pads, lots of bio-balls and filterfloss i washed in tank water a week ago.

i will get full tank pics after i have my other live rock in

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
it was freshwater..... was that ok?
the skimmer is full of water/slightly dirty, should i empty this every time it gets full? i read somewhere that it should be a brown sludgy foaming type consistancy?

thanks akskirmish

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
yeah the bacteria from freshwater will not be able to live in saltwater. The skimmer should be pulling a thick skimmate. Give it a few days to break in and see what its doing then?? is there a way to adjust the amount of air input??

princess

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
England
sweeTang21;1575177; said:
yeah the bacteria from freshwater will not be able to live in saltwater. The skimmer should be pulling a thick skimmate. Give it a few days to break in and see what its doing then?? is there a way to adjust the amount of air input??
ahhh right ben told me to put the foam pad in he doesn't have a reef tank so no idea why i listend to him!

yes i can open the air valve thing more to make the bubbles go faster or do they need to go slower?
do i empty it when its full of water or leave it to gather the thickness....

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
its recommended to empty once a day. i never do, just when full. Bad practice though lol. The more air in the skimmer the better it supposed to work. I find that if i have to MUCH air then i get alot of bubbles in the tank. Something to mess around with when you get it broken into. About a week or two.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store