My new 300 gallon rubber made out door heated pond for my turtles and fish

Fly River

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
sAN dIEGO
My new heated pond.

Hey All, it's been awhile since I have posted anything so I decide to post some new things of mine. I used to have a 200 gallon aquarium for about 5 years but I moved and my new landlord would not allow a big tank. In my tank I had a Fly River turtle, snake necked turtles, giraffe catfish, frontosas, bichirs and a red eye pleco. I did not want to get rid of my fish so I ask if I could put a pond in the back yard. They said yes, so I didn't wast any time looking.

Looking around on the Internet I found a 300 gallon rubbermaid tub. It was tough and had a lot of room for my turtles. The next thing was trying to find one for a good price. I looked at feed stores but their prices were high. Then I found this web sit called Zorrotools.com and they had it for $199.99 with free shipping to my door. If you register with them before you buy, a few days before they send you deals. My deal was $50.00 dollars off $200.00 or more. So of course I did and it was a great buy. Four days later they delivered it to my front door.

I have grass in my yard and I hate wasting water so I set the pond in my yard where it looks good and also allows extra over flow water to flow into the grass. For water changes, I drilled two holes for two, one inch bulk heads. I just drop a hose in let it over flow into the grass.

For filtration I'm running one Fluval FX5. I purchased the filter off Craigslist for a $100.00 and its been working great for two years now. It was on my aquarium first before the pond. I also installed a inline heater, it's only 300 watts but it works.

Living in SD our weather is nice but mostly on the cooler side. It nice and all but for a tropical pond it does require a heater most of the year. One of the ways I help keep the heat in, is by covering the top with thick 2mm clear plastic. It helps but I found that in the summer the sun was hitting it more causing algae bloom so I added a 5mm tarp for more shade. On my weekends I take both traps off for the turtles, so they can get UVA and UVB. During the rest of the time I move the dark tarp back a few feet rotated around for that week. It helps keeping the algae bloom under control.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hennesssy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
California
Nice setup! Turtle looks great. I'm thinking about doing the same thing... placing order on the site you posted.

Fly River

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
sAN dIEGO
I recently moved, so I will try to post some more pics soon. The big thing I had to do is change the heater. The inline heater I had on it was running so much it melted from the inside out and water was pouring out. I'm now using two titanium heaters connected to a Helix thermostat. With the two heaters and the cover on the pond, it keeps it nice and warm (80 degrees).

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I am in ohio, and last year, I experimented doing rubbermaid tubs like you have.
Although I did smaller ones. I did 100 gallons (they were on sale) and a 50 gallon (bought used)
I don't know if my "lesson learned" apply to you or not, but here it goes.

I only did it in summer, because our weather is obviously harsher than yours.
In the evening, if it was getting chilly, I covered the top of the ponds with sheet styrofoam. Worked great. I had livebearers in there, could cover up when the temp got below 60 at night and they never got sick. I used scrap wood on top of the styro sheets to prevent the wind from blowing them off.

The rubbermaids I got had a drain built in. Unfortunately, both the 100 gallons leaked, so I had to replace with a "Real" schedule 80 bulkhead, and slightly enlarge the hole. Kind of a PITA. Now maybe Rubbermaid fixed this? The ones I got were on clearance, so maybe new ones are ok.

This summer, I am going to run some PVC on the outside of the tank so that I can open a valve and drain about 1/4 of the water. I'm also going to run it so that it has an overflow, to prevent the tub from overflowing on a heavy rain. Last year, I had to run out about 6 times during a heavy rain and remove water so they didn't overflow (and lose fish) not fun at all.

If I don't cover the tanks with syrofoam at night, I had put some netting material from a fabric store over it to prevent racoons from snacking on the fish.
Yes, they will go after even little guppies. I used the binder clips from an office store to hold the fabric netting on. It worked well.

Lastly, I found that these outdoor tubs are just awesome grow out tanks. One tank, I just dumped fry in there. They grew awesome.
This year, I am considering using all 3 as growouts (breeding indoors, then dumping fry into tubs).

Oh I forgot to say.. during the day, I put the styro sheets on top, so they shaded about 1/3 of the tank so the fish could escape the sun if they wanted to. I had so-so luck with growing plants in them. The pond lilies did great (they are overwintering in a 75g now)
Other aquarium plants did kind of mediocre, but I am going to try again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store