my new fish

I_Luv_Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
well today after getting my check from the ARNG i went down to my local pet shop and since i havent had fish in a while i picked up my self 2 firemouth cichlids and the works... they are very pretty fish an i will post pics soon... btw by me not having had fish in a while doesnt mean im inexperienced or anything (just to lay some concern you might have at rest) and my fish tank has been filtrating for about 3 1/2 weeks for precautions and safety of my new fish :):):)

I_Luv_Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
oh yeah btw what would be some possible tankmates for my firemouths any help with this concern would be greatly appreciated!!!

sicxspeed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ryht Bye De Beech
In that 29 gallon, i'd say maybe some small bottom dweller, like cory's or something, then some fast moving schooling fish, some kind of tetra's or small barbs....

tarheels910

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2007
Concord, NC
Nothing with two Firemouths in a 29. Footprint is too small, not to mention if they breed.

I_Luv_Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
well i took the sicx's advice and got myself a pplecostamus and 3 tiger barbs for the fish tank but now that i know that a 29 gal might be two small to house those fish im looking at getting a 75gal or larger and then getting some more med sized american cichlids...

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Did you cycle the tank or just let the filters run for 3 1/2 weeks. There's a huge difference between the 2. If all you did was let the filters run you probably have no chlorine, but you also probably have no BB to breakdown the waste from your fish. You have a big bioload on that small of a tank. You are going to need to test your water frequently as well as do frequent water changes until the tank cycles if you can create a colony of BB big enough to keep up with the load. What type of filtration are you using?

Keeper of Chunga

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Upstate NY
Careful with the cory's and the firemouth - I had one firemouth in a 29 gallon and the little tough completely terrorized my cory. Oddly enough - as long as the cory did not touch the bottom of the tank then it was ok - so it was slowly starving to death as it could not bottom feed without having the firemouth attack it.

Keeper of Chunga

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Upstate NY
tarheels910;1344713; said:
Nothing with two Firemouths in a 29. Footprint is too small, not to mention if they breed.
How much room is recommended for firemouth's? I have a 75 gallon tank that is 4' long and believe me when I say it is like Highlander in the fishtank for the two firemouths...."There can be only one"...had to remove one of them to another tank.

sigepoutdoor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2005
CrackR0CKSteady;1351820; said:
that was a really really stupid move. A pleco in a 29g.. You better get a bigger tank asap.
You're a real smooth talker. Ease up a bit.:chillpill:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store