My new Ripsaw catfish

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's about the size my ripsaw is now, purchased him at a LFS listed as a "Prehistoric Catfish". That was about 4 years ago, here he is today.
That's the name they are usually sold under in the shops around here.Interesting yours is only that size after four years.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Mine has some weight to put on. Everyone's are thick. I'm hoping I'll get to see him eat unlike the rest of the catfish in my tank. He hasn't moved since he found his hiding spot.
Nice fish I have 5 of my own.

I find that the bigger the tank the more they like to swim.
Mine generally like to stay between the 120cm (4 foot) deep to 275cm (9 feet) deep range in my tank.

They were also called the dolphin catfish at one time.
I did not know why they got that nickname but when I observe them in low light conditions they occasionally do swim in all ranges of the tank from a few inches from the surface to the lowest 9 foot level. They swim along the sides of the tank boundaries in laps around the tank.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Wtf that is an absolute beast Egon :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
Mine outgrew my last tank 5x4x2 in like 15 months.. He spent 2 months hiding under some driftwood scavenging whatever drifted by.. During the 2 months he built an inch and some confidence and after that he was an absolute beast when feeding.. To correct myself he out-ate the tank rather than outgrew it.. If the other fish were to get satisfied i had to feed him first..

I wouldn't recommend them to anything less than a 4x8 footprint.. Lots of mass and lots of filtration.. And i'm not a light stocker..

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
That's the name they are usually sold under in the shops around here.Interesting yours is only that size after four years.
That's what I thought, doesn't make sense it's that size after four years, not saying the owner is lying but it doesn't make sense to me. Having a close to three footer grown on from a foot in under a year in my pond.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
It took quite a while but he finally comes out of hiding to eat. I would drop pellets in the corner where he hides to ensure he was eating for a few weeks. Then I stopped, I guess it finally dawned on him that if he wants to eat he has to go to the middle of the tank. Now he's the first one there when he smells the food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store