My new Tank

powerkit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
memphis tn
Hi
I am soon going to be investing in a new tank. (I will be ordering it on Monday). I am getting a 12'LX3'WX2'6"T stock tank. I am sooooo exited!!! I put a thread on A/C too, I am really looking for suggestions or any ideas for stocking and filtration. As of right now I will be putting my baby Oscar and Jack Dempsey in after a while. But I would eventually like to put more, I think it calculated at around 670 gallons. I really would like to add some rays, Does any one have any suggestion for breeds of rays or fun stories about keeping them? Maybe some severums and a knife too. This will be the biggest tank I have set up, my last big tank was a 280 with 2 oscars a JD, severum and 2 morreys. How much filtration should I use, and how should it be run? I will probably not put any decor in, except maybe a few fake plants(which the oscars and jd will probly tear into!!!) Thanks for any suggestions or ideas or stories~I am just really excited and cant even fall asleep because I thinking about it. I wish it was all here and cycled and ready to watch my babies grow!!! Well I guess half the fun is anticipation and set up!!! Thanx again every one!!!:grinno::grinno::grinno::grinno::grinno:

kydsexy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2007
connecticut
ok here's what you do. wait until you get the tank. post pics.

UNTIL THEN

there is a setup/filtration section you should look into. DIY section you should look into. and thousands of threads dedicated to fish selection and preferences by many members of MFK. Do some research on here and when it's show time, everyone will be ready to chip in with their ideas :)

good luck

powerkit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
memphis tn
So, I was given a 150 tall! I decided to put Hare and Rama in there for now until I get thier big tank set up. Heres a pic of cleanin the tank, fillin it, and Hare the oscar and rama the JD, they are in the old 55 in the pics, but are in the 150 now, I'll try to get some more recent pics up this weekend. Plan on gettin an albino oscar, ebjd, and an albino cat for now, then when they are moved to the big tank, I will grow the clown knife in here. I'll probably set this tank up for angels after these guys are done with it.

cleanin.jpg

filling tank.jpg

hare.jpg

hare2.jpg

rama.jpg

powerkit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
memphis tn
Oh yes, big tank still in the works. I found a TSC about 45 min outside of memphis, they are willing to deliver the stock tank! I am, however, going to wait till after the holidays, so I can give my daughters some pretty nice gifts too. One would like a chameleon and the other an african grey. so I thought before I endulge my self, I should do thier shopping first. They are into fish too, but they each have 10s for now and seem pretty satisfied just helpin me with the larger tanks.

powerkit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
memphis tn
Thanks, I kinda wish christmas was over, I want the big tank!!! My hubby tells me I have a patients problem. I really dont mind waiting, I think I just have an excitement issue. When I get a new tank idea, I get more and more worked up each day, and when it finally gets here I go into kindof an auto pilot because I have gone over the plans so many times its almost like de ja vu. What a wonderful obsession!

fishyjoe26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
plano texas
yea guessing 670 is right. comes out to be 673.24675 gallons. that is going to be a huge tank. wish I had the space and room for big tanks.

powerkit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
memphis tn
okay, so Turkey day is outta the way, wont be long now before I can start my tank!!!!
I bought a new oscar last week. She is sooooo cute, an albino red. Her and Hare have hit it off great. I cant wait to get some pics of her up! I wasnt even really looking (ha, I'm always looking,lol), and then there she was, crammed in a little tank with like 6 or 8 more oscars, twice her size, and I thought well I cant afford to rescue them all, but at least she is likely to have a chance if I save her now. I usually dont support petsmart, and I really know better than to go in there, but they were having a clearance on filter media and tank accessories and I know, excusses excusses. Regaurdless, I am so happy to have her now. We named her Krishna. She is such a sweetie pie! I think lil Rama (the JD) feels a little left out now with Hare's newfound love affair. He keeps tryin to include himself, but the lovers dont even seem to notice he's there. They have been practicing senchronized swimming and hare has taken her to lay in his favorite spot where he has moved some of the rocks to make a "bed" I cant wait to show you guys pics, they are so adorable together, I hope it stays that way.
How many of you would advise getting a second JD? I'd like to get an EBJD, but I have never housed more than 1 in a tank before. I do have an empty tank if things get to bad I guess I could separate them, but I was kind of thinking introductions are best made while they are small like this, and I may have a chance of finding a suitable companion for lil Rama. whaddo you think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store