My next breeding project

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
In-breeding makes me queasy, even in fish, and even to promote desirable characteristics. I understand it is a common and accepted practice, but Ughhhh.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
There is a difference between inbreeding and selective inbreeding. One can get out of control, and usually gets bad results futher down the line. The other isolates and 'amplifies' the desired trait. Really kewl really. Me Pa breeds kingsnakes, milksnakes, and used to do cornsnakes. He used to inbreed them to isolate certain traits....hes gotten some VERY nice snakes because of it...;). But i hear yaz, inbreeding is touchy. As long as you 'outbreed' the offspring and don't inbreed them too much it shouldn't affect the offspring.

Dont worry about that, they will be fine. I have a 8" tiger, 4" retic and 10" motoro in water with a pH of 8.4-8.6, and hardness off the charts. Mine are doing fine and growing like weeds.
WHOA!! For reals? Your not trixin? Thats awesome! I have never attempted to try rays, always been to worried that they need the softer, lower pH waters. Do you have to do water changes a lot? Hmm...i think this will be my next conquest! :D

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
no lie. I'll even take a pic of my difital ph thing if you want. They are all doing awsome in it.

And I wouldnt say I change a lot. At this point I rarely test except pH because thats always on. But I do water changes around weekly of 50%. I know when I did test the nitrates could be up near 100 ppm. I usualy do wc's now whenever I notice they are not feeding as well or arnt as active one day.

Rays are much easier then some people think. Just start with a hardy one. Colins pups would be a great place to start.

Sorry for taking over colin, just spreading the good word :D

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Very nice female :)

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan