My Ornatum is an Oddball now, what to do...what to do...

What should I do with the Ornatum?

• Leave him in there and hope for the best.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Put him back in his former tank and hope he doesn't kill the snooks.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Sell him since he no longer fits into the grand scheme of things.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • I have a better idea, you should....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Ive had expirience with all of the mentioned above and the ornatums are very aggressive to conspecific and other large cichlids that pose a threat. the snooks ive had try to push other cichlids around but quickly submits lol the festaes will run their tank or at least try to. So i would put the ornatum back into the 265 with the snooks. the snooks have been in there for about a week now so they should be settled in and by placing the ornaum back in he'll have to get re-adjusted and acquainted:) he'll chase the snook a litte bit to establish dominance and the snooks will get out of his way fairly quickly. and in the mean time you can decide on a price to sell the Ornatum and possibly sit on him till you get the price you ask for;) The snooks are more open water swimmers and are faster than the Ornatum and maybe give the Ornatum a lil place to call his own and they should all be fine bro:)

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
I guess for now I would keep him with the Festae. But I would make arrangements to remove him at the first sign of danger to him or the tankmates. I've heard of male Festae turning on their mates shortly after attacking a new tankmate. I would hate to see that happen to your pair. I would move the Ornatum with the Snooks as a last resort. As big as Snooks are, they are really very passive fish. A single aggressive cichlid can wreak havoc on them easily. I hope it doesn't come down to selling him.
Ive had expirience with all of the mentioned above and the ornatums are very aggressive to conspecific and other large cichlids that pose a threat. the snooks ive had try to push other cichlids around but quickly submits lol the festaes will run their tank or at least try to. So i would put the ornatum back into the 265 with the snooks. the snooks have been in there for about a week now so they should be settled in and by placing the ornaum back in he'll have to get re-adjusted and acquainted:) he'll chase the snook a litte bit to establish dominance and the snooks will get out of his way fairly quickly. and in the mean time you can decide on a price to sell the Ornatum and possibly sit on him till you get the price you ask for;) The snooks are more open water swimmers and are faster than the Ornatum and maybe give the Ornatum a lil place to call his own and they should all be fine bro:)
Wow, two opinions I respect very much with different ideas. The Ornatum seems miserable in the Festae's tank and is almost always hiding. I feel bad for him. In the snook tank, he would be the boss and be happy...but would he kill all snooks is the question. He never seemed very aggressive except to his former would-be mate. So FWP, since the snooks won't face off with him, you think he'd be more passive right? That seems logical. Maybe this weekend I'll switch him back when I'll have plenty of time to watch how he acts with his new tankmates. And like you said, in the meantime I can see what kind of offers I get on him.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
well like Gruff said the snooks are passive to most other cichlids and will submit to the Ornatum. I really think you have better chances with him and the snooks. i highly doubt he'll kill all the snooks, worst case scenario you may loose one but thats worse case. and in a tank that big your Ornatum will have plenty of his own space and not only that the snooks will tend to hang out in the open water anyway and out of his way. Cause once the Ornatum realizes that the snooks arent gonna pose a threat he'll lay off. but if he does start goin on a rampage then sell him immediately, that tank will be large enought to temporarily put in a divider till you sell.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
well like Gruff said the snooks are passive to most other cichlids and will submit to the Ornatum. I really think you have better chances with him and the snooks. i highly doubt he'll kill all the snooks, worst case scenario you may loose one but thats worse case. and in a tank that big your Ornatum will have plenty of his own space and not only that the snooks will tend to hang out in the open water anyway and out of his way. Cause once the Ornatum realizes that the snooks arent gonna pose a threat he'll lay off. but if he does start goin on a rampage then sell him immediately, that tank will be large enought to temporarily put in a divider till you sell.
:thumbsup: That's sounds like a great plan. I'm in.

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
Tell us how it works out. I really hope that you'll be able to keep all of your fish without any problems. And I value you and Jason's opinions as well. You've both given me great advice when I needed it. Good luck!

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
He's back in the 265g again and seems very happy to be there. I went ahead and put the little grammodes back in too along with the Filament barbs. The Festae seem happy too lol.

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
Seems like you already figured out what to do. I like the footprint on the Festae tank by the way. Also I think they deserve a solo tank being a pair and a amazing pair at that. No need to take away from them and look of there tank. Hopfully things work out...that Ornatum is one of the nicer looking males I have seen here.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'm a little late I know but I agree with NWatson's comments and think your game plain is spot on. Good luck I hope it works out for you they are all amazing fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store