My pond thread

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
I have finally decided to share the progress of my pond, the 500 gallon one. There has been a lot of controversy on whether aquatic or semi aquatic make a difference on nitrate or ammonia levels in a aquarium or not, whether they are toxic to fish or not, whether you can plant the already potted ones bought from stores, and much more. So i hope that this thread will help clear much of that as i learn and share my experience.
First of all my pond has a RD/Midas cichlid, a pacu and a snakehead. Now some of you will criticize me that this ain't enough for my fish so i want to remind you this isn't their permanent settlement, just a growout. There also hasn't been any aggression, not since the first time i added the fish and everything is working out.
Secondly, i have planted semi aquatic plants, not aquatic ones due to my pacu and RD/Midas.
HOW I PLANTED MY PLANTS:
i bought two pothos plants, small ones. After washing away all the dirt, i found out that each pot had three cuttings, all of which has established root systems. But the roots were suffering from root rot too. So i decided to take a big risk and put all of them in my pond. it was one heck of a challenge to ensure their leaves didn't get fully submerged, but i did it. After about two days, new leaves, as well as new roots, started to appear and I was over the moon over my success. Now its been two weeks since i planted them and believe me, they have doubled in size. However, they haven't been able to even make a dent in my nitrates, which i have to keep down through 75 percent water changes per week, since i feed my fish heavily to avoid any possible aggression.
Then i decided to plant something big, a monstera. I was afraid to plant such a big plant, about 2 feet tall. However i repeated the same steps by washing the dirt from the roots. But the biggest challenge was how to plant it without keeping it from falling over. After a plethora of failed attempts, i figured out the best soulution. i put the roots in a plastic pot with holes and them filled it with medium sized gravel to prevent the stems from falling or leaning downwards. I then took a large plastic pot, placed it upside down, and then placed the monstera over it and it has started showing some growth. Hopefully i can make some significant acheivements in the near future with the plant filtration. I will keep on adding plants.
I will write more soon and give updates aswell. i will also post some pics as soon as possible.
I think monsteras are toxic if consumed, so just don't let any leaves droop on the water because the pacu will definitely try to get a nip

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I think monsteras are toxic if consumed, so just don't let any leaves droop on the water because the pacu will definitely try to get a nip
noted. My pacu is a real pain in the ass and doesn't like vegetarian stuff. He prefers to eat shrimp and worms

Reactions: FrancisFloe

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Can you try to get a side pic of the pacu? It’s looks like it has quite an underbite, which is usually a piranha trait.

Reactions: AR1 and FrancisFloe

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yeah, definitely pacu.
What veggies have you tried feeding? When young they definitely have the carnivore tendencies but should still be open to eating plants. Even piranhas take in lots of plant matter (mine even ate plastic plants).

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Peas lettuce bananas and lot more. However, in order to develop his taste for plants, I keep him hungry for a few days and put all kinds of fruits and veggies. Until now he has started to eat carrots and watermelons, but isn't as excited as he is for shrimps and worms. Hope he becomes used to vegetarian stuff

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Update:
So it seems like my filtration, along with the plants, are not able to cope up with the boiload
I am planning on upgrading my filter size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store