my poor dovii,please help him

bennet

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
australia
hi all i have a male dovii,hes 1.2yrs old.i raised him from a juvie n hes 12inchs.recently(1-2wks)his eyes have become cloudy looking in the pupil areas.so when i noticed this i checked temp(27dc)ammonia nil,and nitrite nil.so i dont think its water quality but im no expert.ph is 7.2.then i added salt at the rate of 4tablespoons per 20litres as advised by a well known lfs cichlid keeper.this is a strong solution i know, but my dovii didnt mind at all.no change after 3days so i tryed wardley fungus aid to no avail.i didnt think it would help but sum1 said try it.the eye looks as though the glaze is inside and has no cottony appearance,rather just cloudy looking.its not quite covering the entire pupil.his main diet is normally mealworms and some pellets if hes really hungry.occasioal earthworms but lately hes rejecting my offers even shrimp tail.after looking around the net im so confused as it seems to me it could be a bacterial infection or even flukes,maybe ph burn.he swims round curiously but doesnt seem to eat.hes all alone in his 6ft so its not fighting thats caused it.filters are 1x huge aquaclear,2 small aquaclear,1x 1500 ltr per hr powerhead.should i do more water changes,or buy meds.which meds?feed him or not?please help he is my pride and joy.i dont want him goin blind.thanks any advice please............also the only thing in the tank besides gravel is driftwood.should i remove it?please help me...........b4 its 2 late n hes blind:(

Roflcopter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
USA
I don't know if im right,but he might have cloudy eye...try using antibiotics,not sure which kind though...sorry...

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Check your nitrates. The reason I say this is because there's a fish shop by me and I noticed almost ALL her big chichlids had cloudy eyes like that. Her nitrates run extrememly high-over 150 ppm. It's just a thought, but maybe your nitrates are too high (not ammonia & nitrites-but nitrates). I've always thought that's why her big fish had cloudy eyes. Because I've bought a few and kept them in low nitrate water and their eyes clear up in a week.

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
Most of the time a fish's eye turns white, it's usually because of high ammonia. Take an accurate measurement of the ammonia and do water changes. If it is ammonia that's causing the problem, after a couple of water changes, it should clear up with no lasting effects. The Doctor.

bennet

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
australia
thanks guys,i added tetricycline antibiotics 2day and i will check my nitrates.if there high how do i lower them,do i just do water changes?

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Actually it's my opinion that fresh clean water (and lots of it) are all you need. I wouldn't use the salt at all and certainly not "lots" of it.
Lots of fresh water will cure almost anything.

bennet

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
australia
k guys thank u i will get on top of my water once i leave the antibiotics in a few days and i will add some live bacteria and get some good water goin.i will keep u posted,i guess it will take a while to see results,i think he can still see and its not getting worse so thats one thing i guess.i dont know if i have adequate biological filtration so i may try to add a canister filter or sompin or start using cycle bacteria more regalarly.cant spell,,,hehe..thanks.

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Ksane;2031810; said:
Actually it's my opinion that fresh clean water (and lots of it) are all you need. I wouldn't use the salt at all and certainly not "lots" of it.
Lots of fresh water will cure almost anything.
Fresh water will cure..nothing. Meds cure problems. Maintaining high water quality is a given. Salt is a great plus when fight small problems, also helps the fish electrolites, wards off smaller parasites, ect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store