my red head severums just laid eggs

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
:nilly::nilly: i dont even try to breed my fish so what should i do next just leave em alone should i do a water change or remove tankmates help im a new granpa of a bunch of eggs.:WHOA:

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
Do you know if you have a male and female? I had two female greens that laid eggs. They for whatever reason paired up with each other. Never fertilized the eggs and always ended up eating them.

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
i dont know ive had them for like 5 years and i just recently moved them to a different tank. i just read to check the color of the eggs so ill do that later today to see if they are fertile

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
they laid after being moved, so they like the conditions, I wouldn't interfere. Fish usually have to learn how to raise broods.
If eggs aren't fertile they will take care of it themselves. Keep up on water changes & see what happens. It's fun.

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
update the eggs are hatching i see lil bity tail like things wiggling on the eggs only a few turned white. should i remove tankmates or the small catfish or pleco the parents are by fare the largest fish in there.

TheNewSeverum

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Winter Springs
Yay!!!! Congrats!

I would say remove the pleco and catfish if you could. Dont want to stress the babies to much. Only thing to remember is theres a chance the severums could eat the offspring. From what I have read, they are stupid and it takes a bit to learn how to raise young.

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
Okay now they are moving the wigglers off of the slate and spiting them in the gravel is this a bad sign

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
parents relocate fry, often into a pit they made.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store