My RTC won't eat krill!

Longfindragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I've had my RTC for a month and his grown from about 2inches to about 5 or 6 inches! So he's growing nicely but his tail in still a dull color. I've ben feeding him cut up shrim[ blood worms and trying to feed him krill but he just swims right over it even if he hasn't eaten the day before. Any suggestions for getting him to eat the krill or something else that will help bring out his color?
There are some other fish in the tank that he could easily eat but even when he's hungry he just chases them for a second then gets over it and swims away. Could I possibly own an RTC that's a fussy eater?

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
You could but I have never seen a RTC that was a fussy eater. Bottom line is he has developed a preference for certain foods. I would have give him an extra day so without eating but I would be scared he would eat something you don't want him to eat.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree with Smitty.

I'd remove the edible tank mates and fast the RTC until it takes what you want him to take. 6"+ is about the size when the red start to come through though.

Or you might add a touch of paprika to whatever he is gobbling down.

Swallowable tank mates will be swallowed, sooner or later, even if the RTC is well fed. Or so the cumulative community experience shows.

Longfindragon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Agree with Smitty.

I'd remove the edible tank mates and fast the RTC until it takes what you want him to take. 6"+ is about the size when the red start to come through though.

Or you might add a touch of paprika to whatever he is gobbling down.

Swallowable tank mates will be swallowed, sooner or later, even if the RTC is well fed. Or so the cumulative community experience shows.
I will try the paprika! Thanks. There are some small cichlids in there that were bought for him to eat and he won't! It's bugging me abit because they're growing haha

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Jörmungandr

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Illinois
lol I had a albino Oscar and a rtc together from 2 inches to 26.25" Oscar was 20 " and they were lovers all other added fish were consumed without thought even a 16" pacu and a large pleco. I actually bought a albino and a rtc last night cuz I miss them lmao second try IMG_0034.JPG IMG_0041.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to MFK!

20" oscar sounds like a record! A 16" pacu getting killed? Wow. That's most unexpected. You have just made me eat my words two posts up.

Jörmungandr

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Illinois
Welcome to MFK!

20" oscar sounds like a record! A 16" pacu getting killed? Wow. That's most unexpected. You have just made me eat my words two posts up.
I'm going to search and find a video I put on YouTube years ago lol and the new couple is not getting along the same lol may have been a once in a lifetime pair I had even separated them for a month to aclimate them to a pool

Jörmungandr

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Illinois
My sizes were off I do believe or this video was not the right 1 can't find the one with both in the blue Rubbermaid box lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store