Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It seems that 2 of 12 baby arowana still only take bloodworms and haven't taken to floating arowana Hikari sticks and pellets yet. I missed this and was offering little bloodworms or some days none. These two are the smallest, IDK if this is because they haven't taken to pellets or because they couldn't take down pellets due to their smaller size at arrival... In any case, one of them goes behind the divider as it seems to have a damaged fin on the top.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Turns out the damage on 2 small arowana (out of 12) was likely caused by other arowana, not by dorado or any other tank mate:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Killed 5th, then 6th, then 7th. Shocked by baby arowana killing 7 out of 11 of their kin, one by one, over 2 months. Why??

• Sad
Reactions: Hao

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
Sorry to hear of the issues that you are having with the juvenile silvers. I would have been of the same assumption that starting with that number of juveniles at that small size should/would have been fairly unproblematic. Coincidentally with coming across this thread, I am growing out 3 small Albino Silvers in a bare 100gal 4x2.5' at the moment. So far so good, with only some fairly minor squabbles to report even at these low numbers.

I have not watched all of your videos in their entirety, so my apologies if some of my questions and observations have already been answered/discussed.
1. Are these farm bred animals or wildcaught - if they are wildcaught is it possible that they have retained a bit more of their natural wild behavior and are less tolerant of one another? maybe the multigenerational farmies have had a bit of the aggression 'bred out' of them, if at all possible?
2. One of the videos i briefly looked at had one of the silvers tail standing/drifting on its tail. This fish looked like it had only a very small amount of damage sustained, certainly not enough IME (video posted July 7) for it to be struggling as much as it is. Is it possible that there is a pathogen in the system that has knocked off some of the older silvers that are effecting these younger ones quicker due to being more susceptible at a smaller size/stress of being in a new system so they are weakened and their tank mates/siblings are attacking them once they are perceived as being weakened?

I've kept silvers, asian and australian aro's and have always found the silvers to be the most placid by far, so this is most perplexing. Maybe there is a good reason or it is just one of the mysteries of fish keeping that pops up that we can never really fully explain.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you. Glad to hear from an OG.

I am pretty sure these must be farm bred because they were priced the usual and they weren't marketed explicitly as w/c.

The aro not swimming right is on its last legs, in agony. Some damage is hard to see but if you look close or in vivo as I have, you'd notice significant area of damage and lacking scales. I suppose it is not the injuries that kill them, as , I agree, they don't look lethal by any means, but the stress of being harassed (probably by night, haven't caught much in the days), attacked, bitten.

The old arowana died in a different way, no injuries for one. These youngsters do not exhibit any symptoms of infection, inflammation, etc. If it did occur, it must have been totally latent, can't refute that, but to me this is a long stretch, while the injuries and stress are obvious. So that's why in-fighting is my front running hypothesis.

Reactions: Peckoltia
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store