My son shut my filters off, is my Oscar Dieing?

pjsmetana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Cocoa Beach, FL
I worked 16 hour days the past 3 days at work, so I didn't even give my tanks much more than a glance. This morning when I woke up to my wife telling me that one of my Oscars are dead. I get up, look at my tank, and immediately notice that neither of my filters are running. Turns out, my son (17 months old) figured out how to shut off my back-up battery which the filters pumps are plugged in to. I have no idea how long the filters have been off. My Tiger Oscar was just sitting sideways on the bottom of the tank. I grabbed a bucket and a net, and when I attempted to pick him out for a proper funeral he started swimming barrel rolls. I assume he is going to die. He was a rescue from a HORRID owner who never did a water change, and over fed him in a 35gal tank. I assumed his day would come sooner or later. But my biggest concern is my Red Oscar, he's in the tank with my Tiger Oscar and they have been best buds for a long time now. Do you think my Red Oscar be ok? Is there anything I can do to help either of my Oscars out? Should I pull the Tiger Oscar and put him out of his misery? This is a sad day for me.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
If you have a quarantine tank, put him in with fresh clean water, lots of oxygen and a little bit of salt to relive stress and help him breathe. It's always worth a shot.

pjsmetana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Cocoa Beach, FL
I don't have a quarantine tank. I've added an airrator, a power head, and readjusted the filter jets to made more surface movement. Should I add salt?

Stick a airline in his mouth and put him I water and support him.
What?

Bigred5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2012
Earth
Do everything you can my filters broke and took me a week to replace them in a 125 gallon and they lived so your red oscar should be O.K. All you can really do is try and make your water as clean as possible by doing daily water changes.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I don't have a quarantine tank. I've added an airrator, a power head, and readjusted the filter jets to made more surface movement. Should I add salt?

What?
I would add a little salt. Relieves stress and helps them breathe better. Any extra air pumps/ stones throw them in too. Change 50% water tonight, and 25-30 % every day. I think he'll pull through.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Royaldoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2011
SoCal
When my O was stressed out or got stubborn with water changes, he'd go sideways as a "tantrum" or just stress. Give him a few days to re-coop, and then go from there.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Sorry to hear this - keep changing the water and aerating it.
I'm curious why your filters are on a battery powered source ? Why aren't they simply plugged in to a socket - which would prevent "shutting them off" ?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Seeems kinda dangerous to have electrical type items where toddlers can access them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store