My stocking list...?

CL6988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2015
RI
Ok doing my first full Lake Malawi tank. 75 gallons, lots of filtration. How does this list look?

If some of them have normal names next to them it's just to remind me what they are lol.

Haps
Nimbochromis Venustus - 3

Peacocks
Aulonocara stuartgranti - Yellow tailed Peacock - 4

Mbuna
Pseudotropheus Socolofi -1

Metriaclima Estherae - OB - 5

Metriaclima Callainos - Blue Zebra - 2

Labidochromis Caeruleus - Yellow Lab - 4

Albino Melanochrmis Auratus - 1

Melanochromis Johannii - 1

Metriaclima Lombardoi - Purple Kenyi - 1

Pseudotropheus Zebra - 1 Orange, 3 Albino

Pseudotropheus Acei - 2

Pseudotropheus Demasoni - 2

That's where I'm at, does that look ok? Realistically I'm going to replace this 75 with a 125 in a few months. Everyone is still around 1.5-2" right now so I think the 75 should be good for now. I'm not used to over stocking tanks I usually lean towards way under stocking them.

Can this list work? I currently have no idea who is male or female.

Thanks for any input!

CL6988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2015
RI
Oh and I know the Auratus is a huge possibility of being way too mean, so I will get rid of it if it becomes a problem but right now it is minding its own business. I guess time will tell with this as to who can stay and who can't. I am hoping for some breeding as I love raising babies.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Mbuna normally don't mix well with haps and peacock. I would decided on one or the other. Then decide if you want all males or breeding groups. All male would be one of each, no look a likes, breeding groups would require 1 male and 3-4 females for each species. In a 75 I would do maybe 18 males or 4 breeding groups.

Reactions: CL6988

CL6988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2015
RI
How do you figure out the sex, just wait till they color up properly?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Venting is the best way since some of the fish you have look the same for both sexes. YouTube and Google both have good howto's on venting.

Reactions: CL6988

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Choose haps and peacocks or mbuna. Choose mixed gender or all-male. Then recommendations can be made. If you choose haps/peacocks, remove the venustus when they are 3".

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
If the venustus grow up with the rest they will have no issues with the rest as long as they are in a large enough tank and are fed enough. (I've seen oscars grown up with swordtails and did fine with them and would jump to catch feeder goldfish being dropped in the tank.)

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
If the venustus grow up with the rest they will have no issues with the rest as long as they are in a large enough tank and are fed enough. (I've seen oscars grown up with swordtails and did fine with them and would jump to catch feeder goldfish being dropped in the tank.)

This is not always the case. I've had numerous fish group up together and have ended up removing them for eventually being too weak or super dominant.

pagdenjohn@

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2015
every fish is different what works for someone else may not work for you and vice- versa just put in what fish you like but be prepared to remove any troublemakers and the best of luck

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Potential aggression problems down the road.
If the Socolofi or Kenyi is a male, they will want to claim a lot of space. Esp the Kenyi.
Most Kenyi at the pet stores are males, I think they hormone them when they are young so they turn yellow as males do.

I have never kept Venustus, but they are a risky addition from what I understand.

I think sometimes peacock and haps can work with mbuna, but in this mix, the peacock is not going to have a chance (the tank is heavily dominated by Mbuna). I would definitely drop him off the list.

The johnanni and aratus are kind of a crap shoot too. You only have one of each, you might be ok. I have had problems with males killing other males of the same species, but I have not kept them for maybe 15 years.

So, after all that commentary.. Here's what I would recommend, if you are willing to take some risk.
1. Remove the peacock.
2. Be prepared to remove the Kenyi when he gets large and territorial.
3. I wouldn't do the Venustus, but you have some pretty tough fish in there, so it seems a reasonable risk..

Ok doing my first full Lake Malawi tank. 75 gallons, lots of filtration. How does this list look?

If some of them have normal names next to them it's just to remind me what they are lol.

Haps
Nimbochromis Venustus - 3

Peacocks
Aulonocara stuartgranti - Yellow tailed Peacock - 4

Mbuna
Pseudotropheus Socolofi -1

Metriaclima Estherae - OB - 5

Metriaclima Callainos - Blue Zebra - 2

Labidochromis Caeruleus - Yellow Lab - 4

Albino Melanochrmis Auratus - 1

Melanochromis Johannii - 1

Metriaclima Lombardoi - Purple Kenyi - 1

Pseudotropheus Zebra - 1 Orange, 3 Albino

Pseudotropheus Acei - 2

Pseudotropheus Demasoni - 2

That's where I'm at, does that look ok? Realistically I'm going to replace this 75 with a 125 in a few months. Everyone is still around 1.5-2" right now so I think the 75 should be good for now. I'm not used to over stocking tanks I usually lean towards way under stocking them.

Can this list work? I currently have no idea who is male or female.

Thanks for any input!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store