My tapeworm...or is is a flat, segmented worm of another class?

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Hey, I feel the same about spiders. And in the pet store?! I just want to nuke the whole spider display.

Otolith

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
Louisiana
Tapeworms aren't pink, the slides are stained to make them show up better under microscopy. Can you make out separations for the proglottids? Have any snapped off? Can you make out a scolex on the head?

That thing is weird looking, was the tank the pb were in bare bottom b/c it looks like some flatworm that maybe lived in the substrate and got jolted out due to the meds. Like a hammerhead worm sans hammer. I'm so curious as to what it is! If it dies fix it in alcohol and dissect him XD

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
knifegill;4582062; said:
Hey, I feel the same about spiders. And in the pet store?! I just want to nuke the whole spider display.
Spiders are probably the only things that creep me out a bit. I don't mind them outside in their own environment, but any I catch inside my house get set on fire, smashed, and then flushed. :grinno:

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Tapeworms aren't pink, the slides are stained to make them show up better under microscopy. Can you make out separations for the proglottids? Have any snapped off? Can you make out a scolex on the head?

That thing is weird looking, was the tank the pb were in bare bottom b/c it looks like some flatworm that maybe lived in the substrate and got jolted out due to the meds. Like a hammerhead worm sans hammer. I'm so curious as to what it is! If it dies fix it in alcohol and dissect him XD
Haven't seen any proglottids falling off, but he does look to be built of them. The head tapers down so much that there could be a teeny set of hooks there, I just can't be sure they are or aren't there. I'll take a lens to it next time it's out.

The worm has shown up in another tank as well. I cannot be sure if it spread from the vase or arrived in a live blackworm portion.

The bass tank had gravel, yes.

I probably won't know it dies unless it dies above gravel and I find it there.

Cocobongo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
land of the lost...
Dark Jester;4582345; said:
Spiders are probably the only things that creep me out a bit. I don't mind them outside in their own environment, but any I catch inside my house get set on fire, smashed, and then flushed. :grinno:
Truth to me too Dark Jester....sorry to say it, but,in case of spiders,:eek: I'll burn mine down too...

Gordon C. Snelling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2008
california
Here is one of the worms from my tank. Sadly the image is not well enough lit to see as clearly as I would have liked. There is no doubt in my mind it is a flatworm and came in with the black worms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store