My tapeworm...or is is a flat, segmented worm of another class?

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
The fact is that I did not witness the actual exit of said worm. It was just in there crawling around and a bunch of skinny, gray bass were huddled in the corner with their eyes falling out and losing their balance. He had dosed with prazi that morning. For all I know (and by this time, suspect) this worm is an aquatic flatworm that doesn't like the taste of praziquantel. The very fact that it is still alive and that I have discovered another smaller one in a different tank tells me that it does not require a host to survive and reproduce. As such, the possibility of this being a true tapeworm becomes slimmer. It should have died outside the digestive tract, not produced viable offspring.

Dark Jester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2010
You found a smaller one in another of your tanks? Ever transfer water between them?

Hrm. If that is offspring from the original, the odds of it being Diphyllobothrium Latum goes way down. Guess it's possible, you said you may have had cyclops in the small tank, they could have eaten eggs, maybe stuck to your hands or a net used in the small tank and been transfered to another tank, then eaten by a fish and exited.. Yeah, not likely. :)

Hmm, did you add B12? If not, I'd assume a Diphyllobothrium Latum tapeworm would be dead by now. Wonder what it is..

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I didn't transfer any water on purpose, but I suppose an egg could have hitchhiked under a fingernail or something.

I didn't add b12 per se, but I did add a tiny bit of multivitamin containing b12 which was ignored.

Gordon C. Snelling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2008
california
I had these show up in one of my discus tanks. The only conclusion I could come up with for their presence was that they were a contaminant in my black worms. The discus would eat them when they had a chance but did not actively search them out. I got rid of them by adding liquid prazipro to the tank. They definitely are not a tapeworm of any sort.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Yay! Thanks for the tip! I was debating whether or not to nuke my tanks. I'll just wait and watch for now. How big did yours get?!

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
I have wormophobia. Last time I went fishing with my girlfriend, she threw a night crawler at me and nearly cried :D

Got her back though ;)

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Never! ^^^

Im terrified of worms! When it comes to raining season it gives me the chills to see them on my drive way.:crazy::yuck::barf:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store