My thoughs and experience with my first little dat

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
About the stable/unstable problem you're having:

How many other fish are with him in the tank? If it's a single baby dat in with other fish, sometimes being alone makes them scared and unstable. I bought 1 NTT last year and kept him in my small community tank and he was always unstable. But now I have a dats only tank and they seem less scared and more stable and active. I think being around others of their kind helps them come out more.

Rawrs.

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
New York City
I got my first few at around .5 inches? and within 1 months time they're around 2" - 2.5" so maybe a year till they hit the 6" mark or less. Definitely not 3-4 years.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
The key to make a dat grow as fast as possible:
Feed a lot of frozen food:
Shrimps
Bloodworms
Mysis
and more.

Keep him in a tank about 20-55g (nothing smaller than a 20, even if he is 1")
And change about 30% twice a week or 50% once a week (your call).

Good luck with him.

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Thanks for the good advice everyone! He is currently the only one in the tank. He was the last dat in the LFS, I wish I could have gotten 3 or 4. We have a 55gal that doesn't have fish in it but something went majorly wrong and there is green alge EVERYWHERE. So I think we are going to drain it, wash it, start over and let it re-cycle and then add then let the dat have that all to himself. As for right now he is in a 10gal.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
MsMassPoly;3988260; said:
in 4-5 years with good feeding and water changes he should be about 6 inches.
thats wierd, I have an IT i got in 2005 at 1 inch. It is now 11.5 - 12 inch (and he's not that greedy compared to other tigers in tank)

first 6 months in a 10g all on its own and a crappy fluval 1 internal (i wouldnt recommend this set up)

the rest of its life, it is in a 125g with decent filtration and feeding.

6 inch in 4-5 years is stunted growth for tigers, even for the slow growers like NTT and NGT.

Victor-Falko

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Dutchess County, New York
bahamaqt00;3988224; said:
It's funny you say that. I mean a ton of people here say that and then I see others saying they grew an inch or two in like 4 months.
Indos grow at a good speed from .5in to 4in. After that, it slows down. When they hit 8-9in they really growth really slows down!

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
I glad to hear that they at least get to 4-6" before their growth really slows down. I just need him to about 6" before he can go in the big tank

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
I've had my IT's for a little under a month and a half and they've already grown about 1/2". 4 out of 5 of them are a little less than 2", there is one smaller one but that's the one that everyone picks on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store