MY TRICK TO A CLEAN SUMP :)

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
West1;1323679; said:
Just thinking out loud, but isnt that kind of like the samething that I'm doing just on a constant current?
Kind of I guess... in writing it seems that way anyway ... but you shouldn't be having a problem with any sort of dirty water in your sump... if your getting particals there and your moving the water around very quickly then all your doing is breaking up the particals which are to small for your filter to remove ... and basically making them even smaller... your not removing them in anyway... just busting them up!

Can you upload some pics of your set up... I think that we will be able to better get an idea of what you've done and how it's all working, perhaps we're misunderstanding what your trying to tell us!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Your clean sump makes for a polluted aquarium.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Since I've added the powerhead, the water circles and everything piles up (little particles) in one corner. So with a syphon, I take it out. To me its a lot easyer to clean a pile of stuff than stuff spread out.
Dont know, but it works for me :)

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Dr Joe;1324599; said:
Don't You have a pre-filter on the sump? Sumps should only need cleaning every 6-12mo.

Got a pic of the sump?

What is the bio-media?

Dr Joe

I have a powerhead in the sump going to my 150, aside from the powerhead I just added. When you say pre-filter, is that what your talking about?

I will take pics tonight and post tomorrow

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
West1;1325990; said:
Since I've added the powerhead, the water circles and everything piles up (little particles) in one corner. So with a syphon, I take it out. To me its a lot easyer to clean a pile of stuff than stuff spread out.
Dont know, but it works for me :)
Now THIS is a different story. If it piles up so you can easily get it out and you DO get it out often, then it's doing you real good.. Not just cleaning up a visible mess.

Cleaning the mechanical portion of the sump should be done MUCH more often than 6 months.. I don't plan on cleaning any bio balls.... ever...

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Danh;1326067; said:
Now THIS is a different story. If it piles up so you can easily get it out and you DO get it out often, then it's doing you real good.. Not just cleaning up a visible mess.

Cleaning the mechanical portion of the sump should be done MUCH more often than 6 months.. I don't plan on cleaning any bio balls.... ever...
I do not clean my bio ball, but any particales, fish scales (feeders), pcs of shrimp, dust, etc... I see in the sump, I take it out.

Mat. Yes I do have that in my hang on box (the clear plastic thing hangs on the tank and drains down to the sump. Sorry I forgot the name :)), and I Rinse this pad out every time I change mt water (every 4 days) and replace it once a month.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Dr Joe;1324599; said:
Don't You have a pre-filter on the sump? Sumps should only need cleaning every 6-12mo.

Got a pic of the sump?

What is the bio-media?

Dr Joe

Here is a pic of my sump, pic of front of the tank and a side shot. In the first pic, the powerhead to the left is just making current, and the right powerhead is going to the tank through a U/V.
Just thought I'd post some crappy pics from my phone just to give you guys an idea of what I'm talking about.
I see no change in any of my fishes behavior since I added the powerhead. The first day is when I seen a small de-crease in swimming and more breathing (not much). Since then I see normal swimming from all the fish in the tank. I do still have a little bug problem in my sump (I was told it is no big deal), but I really think that by having my sump set up the way it is, it will clear the bugs out. I dont mean by pushing them into the big one (obviously they will do so), but by taking away their food source (what ever attracts them to the sump and not the tank) I think they will vanish (I'll probly get crap for the bug comment :)).

PIC-0118.jpg

PIC-0120.jpg

PIC-0119.jpg

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I forgot the name of them. They are little white dots that crawl on the glass. I just wipe them off the glass as I change my water. Also it was from over feeding :) (was is the key word :))

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store