My weekend driftwood find

RBE17

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Coopersburg, Pa 18036
Funny story concerning this piece. I walked it back to our picnic table and my nephew asked what it was for and I told him. My wife gave him the :screwy: and I gave her the :D:banher:. Anyway, when I was just about to my car some woman got out and gave me a releived look and told me she thought I was carrying a dead animal complete w/ antlers. I told her that would've been cool, too.:ROFL:

pwmin;1790589; said:
sweet. i have been planning on going driftwood hunting for a month now but keep running into problems getting to the "river"
I hear you. Once a month I take my daughter to my parents. They have a lake right near them, but I never make it out walking and looking for driftwood.

balton777;1790638; said:
It's a great shape for aquarium use. Is it driftwood or just wood? I mean will it sink or will you have to weigh it down?
It was lying on the water's edge where I found it and it is very weathered. I haven't tried to put it in water yet. I'm going to wire brush it, power wash it and then boil it. I imagine I'll still have to weigh it down.

ifoundnemo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MA
RBE17;1790695; said:
Anyway, when I was just about to my car some woman got out and gave me a releived look and told me she thought I was carrying a dead animal complete w/ antlers. I told her that would've been cool, too.
Haha! Very funny post.

Once you treat the driftwood, it would be cool to see some pictures of it in your tank! Can't wait to see. :)

LBathory

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
New Jersey
i want to go driftwood hunting! I got so many little streams and rivers all over my town but im so paranoid of pesticides... :irked:

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
LBathory;1796225; said:
i want to go driftwood hunting! I got so many little streams and rivers all over my town but im so paranoid of pesticides... :irked:
That is why it should be boiled and cleaned very well! Then alot of water changes why its in a barrel full of water!

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
I just recently found a place with some good wood in Florida (for all you Floridians).
It's called Cypress Things.They have a HUGE inventory of Cedar roots. There are some very attractive ones. They were all dug out of the ground, whole, by a local in the area. From swamps and sides of rivers. I'll be getting my next piece from there.
I don't really have any good pics. ill get y'all some another time.

There are some of them in the background (behind the well)

They even have cypress knees! Makes for a unique look in the tank if you do it right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store